Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
terje

How do I create a sub module to a module in a course?

Jump to solution

I want to divide my course content into modules and sub-modules. Anyone who have tried this and knows how (or if) it ca be done?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@terje , you can easily organize your course content into modules. You'll find plenty of guidance at Canvas Guides: Modules, and specifically in How do I create a new Module? and How do I add items to a Module?  Canvas doesn't have a sub-module structure; many instructors choose to categorize the content within modules by using text headers as separators, and you'll see instructions for creating a text header in the second guide linked above.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@terje , you can easily organize your course content into modules. You'll find plenty of guidance at Canvas Guides: Modules, and specifically in How do I create a new Module? and How do I add items to a Module?  Canvas doesn't have a sub-module structure; many instructors choose to categorize the content within modules by using text headers as separators, and you'll see instructions for creating a text header in the second guide linked above.

Thank you. It seems that I will be able to organize mu stuff the way I want by using text headers.

Fra: Stefanie Sanders <instructure@jiveon.com<mailto:instructure@jiveon.com>>

Svar til: "jive-306673221-k75-2-tvd@mail.instructure.jiveon.com<mailto:jive-306673221-k75-2-tvd@mail.instructure.jiveon.com>" <jive-306673221-k75-2-tvd@mail.instructure.jiveon.com<mailto:jive-306673221-k75-2-tvd@mail.instructure.jiveon.com>>

Dato: fredag 13. mai 2016 14.12

Til: Terje Klausen2 <terje@nevu.no<mailto:terje@nevu.no>>

Emne: You have been mentioned by Stefanie Sanders in Re: How do I create a sub module to a module in a course? in Canvas Community

Canvas Community <https://community.canvaslms.com/?et=notification.mention>

You have been mentioned

by Stefanie Sanders<https://community.canvaslms.com/people/stefanievsanders%40gmail.com?et=notification.mention> in Re: How do I create a sub module to a module in a course? in Canvas Community - View Stefanie Sanders's reference to you<https://community.canvaslms.com/message/38713?et=notification.mention#comment-38713>

Nix to this. It's been very helpful to have sub-categories in the past with D2L. For example, I have two students studying very different topics in one course (because that's how the course was created in Canvas). Now the material I post there for each of them will be visible to both and also more confusing.

"Canvas doesn't have a sub-module structure; many instructors choose to categorize the content within modules by using text headers as separators"

Well, considering that you CAN'T create a sub-module, this must be true.  However, like many others, I would love to be able to organize my content as sub-modules.

I agree.

cindyk
Community Member

A submodule structure would be helpful since I can lock modules based on completion of prerequisites but once the module is open, I cannot force completion of each step inside the module without a lot of extra steps.  Some of the pathyways involve videos, others require that I approve a live interaction, or the student does an activity outside of Canvas so a passcode is not trivial.  If I add mastery paths for each split point, then I get an unwieldy number of modules.  For example, I need one module for student's to chose their preferred instruction (using the hack), then everyone comes back together to take a short quiz they need to pass with 80% accuracy before moving on to practice problems (again with a choice) and then finally, the module ends with an assessment that everyone takes.  The everyone portion is important because only assignments given to 'everyone' are transferred to our SIS.  And since there are two choice points, I would need 4+ mastery paths to allow for all combinations.  How do I group the series of 4 modules into 1 as they really are one complete cycle of learning?  Remember, this cycle is repeated for every unit of study in the course.  With 30 lessons a semester, we're talking over 100 modules.  Submodules would help make this manageable and allow grouping lessons into units.