Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennifer_caliga

How do I create an assignment where students can type their answers into the document and submit it to me?

I am trying to create an assignment where I can load questions for students to answer where they can type in their responses and share it with me.  I do not want to create a quiz.  I want to be able to load or copy my word file I have already created into Canvas for students to answer the questions.  I hope that made sense!

34 Replies
kyoung

The thread above has various answers to the question.  Google docs is a great app, and it will convert PDF to a gdoc interactive file.  If you are looking for something with an easy interface, and something that will collect all student work in the same place, you might try embedding a Google Form.  On the user end, it looks like a quiz or survey.  On your end, unlike the Canvas quiz, it creates a single spread sheet with all of the answers. 

bdalton_sales
Instructure
Instructure

I know its not of use immediately but the Office365 integration was announced at InstructureCon a couple of weeks back.  The Cloud assignment does exactly what you want so keep an eye out for that functionality when it arrives

Kerry, I do not know if you received an answer concerning using a pdf but I use Adobe Acrobat Pro to convert the pdf to a fillable form and then upload that into Canvas. This saves me from doing any rewriting because if my assignment is already a pdf or a Word doc I simply convert it to a pdf form.  Now the only caveat is that students must use a pdf program such as Adobe Reader to fill in the form, save it to their computer, and then upload it to the assignment. They cannot use the pdf viewer in Chrome as it will not save their input.

jodeha

I have the same problem! I put the assignment in there, but the students cannot write in it. Its crazy! One person told me to have students submit it first then it would enable them to write in it! And submit it again after they completed the assignment---this is crazy !!! Can anyone please help me????

jodeha

I have the same problem! I put the assignment in there, but the students cannot write in it. Its crazy! One person told me to have students submit it first then it would enable them to write in it! And submit it again after they completed the assignment---this is crazy !!! Can anyone please help me????

Tags (1)