How do I create users using CSV that allows them to create their own profile?

Jump to solution
EktaShinde
Community Member

Hello, 

I want to create the users using CSV import where, 

• User needs to be enrolled in the appropriate course
  • User needs to receive an automatic notification from Canvas advising they've been enrolled in a course
  • It will allow users to create their profile, log in and set their password for the first time

Is it something possible? 

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ekta

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @EktaShinde 

"When a user account is manually added, Canvas gives an option to generate an account invitation. If this invitation is sent, the user is invited to complete the registration process by creating a password. Once the user has an account, the user can also be added to a course. If a user is invited to a course without having an account, the user will have to create an account before accepting the course invitation.

When users are invited to a course manually, they can view the course invitation link in their email and click it to view a preview of the Canvas course. To officially accept, they must click an Accept button in the Canvas interface. However, if you prefer to disable course previews and have users automatically join the course when they view the Canvas course, please contact your Customer Success Manager to disable invitation previews"

From: What user enrollment and registration options are available in Canvas?

"As an account admin, you can set different enrollment and registration options for your account. Available options include self enrollment, self registration, and open registration."

To enroll users using a CSV report, you will need to run a Provisioning Report, download the report, then add your user information (Name, email address), then upload that report into Canvas. You can learn about Provisioning Reports in the Canvas Default Account Reports PDF. This is much more complicated than it sounds, and you will want to review the Canvas Admin Guide first. These guides will help you format and upload the report: How do I format CSV text files for uploading SIS data into a Canvas account? , and How do I import SIS data to a Canvas account?

If you want to simultaneously add the students to their appropriate courses, you will need to have those courses created and ready (published) for the students, and your term structure in place. I would strongly recommend creating your users first, then let your faculty develop their courses, then move the students to their courses.

If your school uses a Student Management System (SMS), you can easily automate this process by integrating your Canvas and SMS. Canvas Professional Services can help you with this piece, and your CSM can hook you up with that.

It's a lot, but it is workable. If you have more specific questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Good luck,

Kelley

View solution in original post