cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miguel1

How do I cross-list two courses?

Jump to solution

I need to cross list two courses. Namely, PHYS 419 and MATH 419; i.e., not two sections of the same course.

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @miguel1 ‌ - There are instructions for combining two course sites together here:  How do I cross-list a section in a course as an instructor?  Even though Canvas calls them "sections" here, if you check the very first line on that page you'll see that it will apply in this case.  You are basically going to be combining them into one or the other course site, so that one resides "in" the other with the two enrollments combined.  Now that I've said that, however, it is possible that your institution does not allow faculty to do this on their own. (We do not at my own institution, for example.)  If that is the case, I would suggest you contact the Canvas support at PSU.  It looks like they have information on how to contact them on this page:  Canvas |  

Hope this helps, Miguel!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @miguel1 ‌ - There are instructions for combining two course sites together here:  How do I cross-list a section in a course as an instructor?  Even though Canvas calls them "sections" here, if you check the very first line on that page you'll see that it will apply in this case.  You are basically going to be combining them into one or the other course site, so that one resides "in" the other with the two enrollments combined.  Now that I've said that, however, it is possible that your institution does not allow faculty to do this on their own. (We do not at my own institution, for example.)  If that is the case, I would suggest you contact the Canvas support at PSU.  It looks like they have information on how to contact them on this page:  Canvas |  

Hope this helps, Miguel!

Dear Ken,

thank you for your message. Those instructions are specifically for sections of the same course. The merging of different courses is … different. I found it. But there are no examples or how-to pages in the Canvas help ;o(

Cheers, Miguel

Miguel Mostafa - (814) 865-4306

Professor of Physics, and of Astronomy and Astrophysics

The Pennsylvania State University

0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

I thought I would mention this for others as it has had me confused today.

When you as an Admin have a new Course with no people enrolled, there are no Sections created so the instructions you linked to has nothing under the Sections tab, so the Course cannot be cross-listed.

But when you enrol at least one person, a Section is auto-created (I enrolled a teacher through the CSV import).

After that you can click on the Section and choose to cross-list it with another Course.

I was expecting to do the cross-list before enrolling any people, but this doesn't appear to be possible (at least through the user interface).

Cheers, Tony

theresa_dorn
Community Member

I am trying to figure out the same thing. We have not found a solution that will work. We were able to cross list, but adding students to the "child course" after the cross list did not work. We are very confused at the moment. Does anyone have the exact steps needed to cross-list two courses, not loose materials from either course (there are no students in either course yet), be able to desegregate data scores at the end of the term, add/drop late students?

Thanks in advance,

Theresa

0 Kudos
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @theresa_dorn  - You may want to re-pose your question as a new question just to get a few more "eyes" on it. Also, this will depend on several factors.  How are you adding students, exactly?  Is it "manually" via the +People button or is as part of a SIS import being done? Any additional details may help the Community answer your question. At my own institution, all enrollments are handled through the SIS and the cross-listing is done automatically.  But even in those cases where (for example) faculty wish to combine their courses, the methods outlined above do work...though I will do it myself, since faculty combine their own courses.  Each section, however, has its own SIS ID associated with it.  So while I don't think I can answer your question, specifically, some additional information may help! 

Thanks @ @kblack  

I will get more info and post a new question.