cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robert_payne
Community Member

How do I determine the total number of points in a course?

Jump to solution

Newbie!  An Instructional Designer building master classes for the first time.  It is working pretty smooth (came from Bb) though I have run into a simple problem that I need to solve.

In the previous LMS when I would finish building, one of the things I would check is the grade book and the total column to make sure that I had not missed anything by checking that the total points of assignments I know about (1000 points) equal what is in the grade book.  I could confirm that by checking the total column details which would tell me that.  Is there anyway to determine the total number of points in a course????

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

From previous experience, here's what I've leaned when trying to do this.

• If you are using a weighted/percentage based gradebook you can't get the total number of points.
  • If you are using a points based gradebook you can mouse over a student's grade in the Total column to get the number of points the student has earned over the total possible points for the assignments that have been graded (so not all assignments in the gradebook, just the ones that have been graded).
  • If you go to the Gradebook and click the gear icon and select "Treat ungraded as 0" you should then be able to mouse over the grade in the Total column for your test student (or any student in the course) and see the total number of points earned over the total number of points in the course. This is for ALL assignments, not just the ones that have been graded. <--So this is what you can do to get the total number of points for all assignments in the course.
  • As a side note, if you have a points based gradebook you can also hover over the top of the total column (where it says total) and click on the pull down arrow. When you do this you'll be given the option to "Switch to points." This switches the grade from a percentage grade to the number of points the student has earned so far in the course.

Hope all of this helps!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

From previous experience, here's what I've leaned when trying to do this.

• If you are using a weighted/percentage based gradebook you can't get the total number of points.
  • If you are using a points based gradebook you can mouse over a student's grade in the Total column to get the number of points the student has earned over the total possible points for the assignments that have been graded (so not all assignments in the gradebook, just the ones that have been graded).
  • If you go to the Gradebook and click the gear icon and select "Treat ungraded as 0" you should then be able to mouse over the grade in the Total column for your test student (or any student in the course) and see the total number of points earned over the total number of points in the course. This is for ALL assignments, not just the ones that have been graded. <--So this is what you can do to get the total number of points for all assignments in the course.
  • As a side note, if you have a points based gradebook you can also hover over the top of the total column (where it says total) and click on the pull down arrow. When you do this you'll be given the option to "Switch to points." This switches the grade from a percentage grade to the number of points the student has earned so far in the course.

Hope all of this helps!

View solution in original post

pscott1
Community Participant

The second and third points mentioned are not working for me.  I wonder if this has anything to do with the Paradigm Snap 2106 version of Canvas?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

That definitely could be.

scho0410
Community Participant

@kona ‌ Do you know the reason why there isn't just a 'Total' Points column? We have lots of instructors who want to make sure the points they entered add up to a specific number (like 100 or 1000 points).  Mostly wondering if it's worth putting in a feature request to vote-up for this? 

Thanks,

dlindon1
Community Participant

In your reply to a response for someone who wanted to be able to view total available points, you stated:

• If you go to the Gradebook and click the gear icon and select "Treat ungraded as 0" you should then be able to mouse over the grade in the Total column for your test student (or any student in the course) and see the total number of points earned over the total number of points in the course. This is for ALL assignments, not just the ones that have been graded. <--So this is what you can do to get the total number of points for all assignments in the course.

We are migrating to Canvas and are preparing for Fall 2018. We noticed that the function you described above is not available in the New Gradebook (currently in beta).  

Are there plans to add this or a similar feature in the new Gradebook?  As others have mentioned, faculty are looking for a way to verify that they have calculated/set up the total points correctly before classes begin. They just want to confirm that the denominator in the course is correct.

Dana

hspauldi
Community Member

Not ideal, but my work around is to export an excel sheet. After I set up the assignments for the course to determine I have inputted them all correctly, I export an excel sheet and just highlight the points for each and on the bottom right it will tell you the sum of your selection. 

bchristian
Community Member

The easiest thing I have been able to find if I input the grades correctly so they add up to my desired end product (typically 1000pts) is to input the grades into your test student at the bottom. One inserted, you will see that student's final grade. Too bad canvas can't just make it so it displays the total points available like other LMS programs.

Tags (1)