cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
georgialhartman
Community Member

How do I edit existing rubric to "use rubric for grading assignment"?

Jump to solution

I would like to edit the rubrics I've created to automatically populate the score into the grade. It was clear how to do this for Discussion assignments, but I am having trouble locating how and where to make this change for Assignments. Thank you!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@georgialhartman ,

For assignments, the rubrics are attached and edited separately from the editing of the assignment. In other words, do not click the Edit button to edit the assignment.

On the page that shows up when you click on an assignment (without hitting edit), you see the points, the submission information, the due dates, and then a rubric at the bottom.  Click the pencil to edit the rubric.

281145_pastedImage_1.png

Now scroll to the bottom of the rubric and check the box to Use this rubric for assignment grading.

281146_pastedImage_2.png

If there is no rubric assigned, you assign without editing the assignment. In this case, there will be an +Rubric button at the bottom of the assignment.

281153_pastedImage_3.png

View solution in original post

James ( @j_denholm-price )

If you have already completed the rubrics and/or left comments, then going back retroactively and selecting the "use for grading" option does not affect what has already been entered in any way.

This means that it does not convert the existing rubric markings into scores. Someone will need to go through each student, open the rubric, and save it. This process will save the score from the rubric as the grade for the assignment.

If you have a lot of these to do, you may want to consider a script I wrote and shared with people. It's called QuizWiz, but it has a lot of SpeedGrader enhancements as well. One of them is the ability to click a button that saves a rubric, advances to the next student, and opens the rubrics back up. When I've forgotten to set the "use for grading" option before students submit and I've already filled out the rubrics before I catch my mistake, this becomes one mouse click with no mouse movement (just keep clicking on that update and advance button) per student rather than three mouse clicks and lots of mouse movement (mouse to View Rubric and click, move to Save and click, mouse to to to advance student (or press K on keyboard) and click).

6 Replies
James
Community Champion

@georgialhartman ,

For assignments, the rubrics are attached and edited separately from the editing of the assignment. In other words, do not click the Edit button to edit the assignment.

On the page that shows up when you click on an assignment (without hitting edit), you see the points, the submission information, the due dates, and then a rubric at the bottom.  Click the pencil to edit the rubric.

281145_pastedImage_1.png

Now scroll to the bottom of the rubric and check the box to Use this rubric for assignment grading.

281146_pastedImage_2.png

If there is no rubric assigned, you assign without editing the assignment. In this case, there will be an +Rubric button at the bottom of the assignment.

281153_pastedImage_3.png

Thank you! I knew it was something easy that I was somehow missing.

irmim
Community Member

If I add an existing rubric to a new assignment it adds it without the option to "use this rubric for grading".  When I then edit the rubric, which is used for several similar assignments, to "use this rubric for grading", it creates a copy of the rubric. 

Is there a way to get around creating unnecessary copies of rubrics?

James
Community Champion

@irmim  

The warning is misleading. If all you are doing is checking the box to use it for rubric (or some of the other options on that dialog), then it does not make a copy.

The reason the warning is there is because you can also edit the rubric itself from that same screen. Changing the rubric (text, point values, etc) will make a copy. Changing the options does not.

j_denholm-price
Community Participant

Thanks, that's helpful 👍 Just a quick follow-up question for completeness (I'm in this situation at the moment): If an instructor has already used the rubric to set scores & write comments on some assignments but forgot to check the "scoring" box beforehand, is it safe to check it it retrospectively, i.e. will Canvas preserve the comments & existing marks within the assignments?

Assuming it's safe 🙏 will it also automatically convert the rubric scores to assignment grades, or does someone have to go through them and e.g. re-save the rubric?

Best wishes,
James.

James ( @j_denholm-price )

If you have already completed the rubrics and/or left comments, then going back retroactively and selecting the "use for grading" option does not affect what has already been entered in any way.

This means that it does not convert the existing rubric markings into scores. Someone will need to go through each student, open the rubric, and save it. This process will save the score from the rubric as the grade for the assignment.

If you have a lot of these to do, you may want to consider a script I wrote and shared with people. It's called QuizWiz, but it has a lot of SpeedGrader enhancements as well. One of them is the ability to click a button that saves a rubric, advances to the next student, and opens the rubrics back up. When I've forgotten to set the "use for grading" option before students submit and I've already filled out the rubrics before I catch my mistake, this becomes one mouse click with no mouse movement (just keep clicking on that update and advance button) per student rather than three mouse clicks and lots of mouse movement (mouse to View Rubric and click, move to Save and click, mouse to to to advance student (or press K on keyboard) and click).