cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcastaneda526
Community Member

How do I email attachments to my classes?

Jump to solution

I need to make information available for my classes and I want to email it to them.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @mcastaneda526  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  To answer your question, please have a look at the following Guide: How do I attach a file to a message as an instructor? 

Your question brings up another thing I'd like to briefly discuss, however.  Canvas does not have an internal e-mail system.  They refer to it as "messaging" or "conversations" that live inside your Canvas Inbox.  This means that you can only send a message to people who are enrolled in the same course you are.  You cannot send e-mail messages to your friends or family members inside of Canvas because they are, more than likely, not enrolled in the same courses you are.  In your Canvas profile, you can set up your notification preferences by choosing how you want to be notified and how often you want those notifications.  So, for example, "Student A" could set up course notifications (including copies of messages sent via the Canvas Inbox) to go directly to his student e-mail account.  However, "Student B" may choose to only want to receive her course notifications via text message...in which case, this student would have to log in to Canvas in order to read and/or obtain any attachments included with your message.  So, as you are thinking about how to get material to your students, keep in mind that notification preferences can vary a great deal from user to user...and the frequency of those messages (when students choose to get those messages) may not happen immediately.  Here are some Guides that help explain things a bit better:

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications as an instructor? 

How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as an instructor? 

How do I add a text (SMS) contact method in Canvas as an instructor? 

How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an instructor? 

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications as a student? 

How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as a student? 

How do I add a text (SMS) contact method in Canvas as a student? 

How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as a student? 

If you want to ensure that your students would get the attachments that you are sending them to their e-mail addresses, I would recommend that you obtain the e-mail address list of the students in your course and then use your school's e-mail client (e.g. Microsoft Outlook) to send them an e-mail that way.  This ensures that your message and any attachments will get delivered to their e-mail inboxes.

I hope this information is helpful to you, Manuel.  Please let me know if you have any questions...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @mcastaneda526  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  To answer your question, please have a look at the following Guide: How do I attach a file to a message as an instructor? 

Your question brings up another thing I'd like to briefly discuss, however.  Canvas does not have an internal e-mail system.  They refer to it as "messaging" or "conversations" that live inside your Canvas Inbox.  This means that you can only send a message to people who are enrolled in the same course you are.  You cannot send e-mail messages to your friends or family members inside of Canvas because they are, more than likely, not enrolled in the same courses you are.  In your Canvas profile, you can set up your notification preferences by choosing how you want to be notified and how often you want those notifications.  So, for example, "Student A" could set up course notifications (including copies of messages sent via the Canvas Inbox) to go directly to his student e-mail account.  However, "Student B" may choose to only want to receive her course notifications via text message...in which case, this student would have to log in to Canvas in order to read and/or obtain any attachments included with your message.  So, as you are thinking about how to get material to your students, keep in mind that notification preferences can vary a great deal from user to user...and the frequency of those messages (when students choose to get those messages) may not happen immediately.  Here are some Guides that help explain things a bit better:

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications as an instructor? 

How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as an instructor? 

How do I add a text (SMS) contact method in Canvas as an instructor? 

How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an instructor? 

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications as a student? 

How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as a student? 

How do I add a text (SMS) contact method in Canvas as a student? 

How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as a student? 

If you want to ensure that your students would get the attachments that you are sending them to their e-mail addresses, I would recommend that you obtain the e-mail address list of the students in your course and then use your school's e-mail client (e.g. Microsoft Outlook) to send them an e-mail that way.  This ensures that your message and any attachments will get delivered to their e-mail inboxes.

I hope this information is helpful to you, Manuel.  Please let me know if you have any questions...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mcastaneda526 

@chofer  is spot-on in his reply to your question; however, I would like to add a couple thoughts.

• First, why email content to your students when that content can easily be added to your Canvas classrooms?
  • Second, you could also add the content as an attachment to a course announcement. And, you can even have that announcement display on your course home page.

Learn more at:

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley