How do I get a profile picture to be upright rather than sideways?

Jump to solution
ddnygren
Community Novice

My student has a picture that is sideways. How can I help her so that it is upright?

1 Solution
stuart_ryan
Community Novice

Hi Diana,

I have seen this happen a couple of times where the rotation metadata in an image (for whatever reason) does not register (or doesn't exist).

My personal preference is to use a desktop application to rotate the image (if it already appears rotated when she loads it on her computer, I would still suggest rotating it 360 degrees and re-saving it as that *should* fix the rotational metadata of the image).

For a profile picture, JPG is best, so I recommend converting it to that too. There are a wide array of online tools that can do the rotation for you as well if you upload the image, I would however mention data privacy and if it is a free tool, you should read the Terms and Conditions as they may have something around how long they keep the images you submit and what they can use them for.

If you search Google for 'rotate image on Mac/Windows' (depending on which you use) you should get some pretty thorough guides to help.

Hope that helps, please let me know how you go or if it continues to give you trouble!

Cheers,
Stuart

View solution in original post