cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jurgen_borstler
Community Member

How do I handle several moderators in moderated assignments?

We would like to use moderated assignments and look for a work-around to make possible multiple moderators.

Context: The course has around 100 students, and the students' work is reviewed by 2-3 "reviewers" (who are teachers) and then finally "graded" by an examiner. Each review comes with filled in rubrics plus textual feedback. The examiner goes through all reviews and feedback for a student and compiles a final decision that is communicated to the student.

The problem is that we have 9 examiners in total. We'd like to have a way of setting the moderator to a "type" of teacher instead of an individual. Is there a way to do that?

4 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @jurgen_borstler  - Wow; that's an interesting scenario and I frankly do not have a really good, easy way around that. Indeed, you can only set one moderator (by drop-down menu/name) for each moderated assignment, though you can have almost any number of graders. I assume that the examiners/moderators will be assigned to a specific, set number of students...correct?  (In other words, all 9 examiners are not going to be looking at every submission.  If they are, the work-around below will not work.)  Assuming you can have some idea of which students each examiner is going to be the final judge on, something like this might work.

Since at my institution the "teacher" role is the "moderator" that would appear in that drop-down menu, the work-around I can think of is something like this:

• Enroll all examiners/moderators into the course site as "teachers" (or whatever role has moderating privileges at your institution.)
  • Create multiple, similar assignments.  This is relatively easily done courtesy of Canvas' ability to create duplicate assignments.  (How do I duplicate an assignment? )
  • Edit each assignment as a differentiated assignment, therefore assigning the students to a specific assignment, as covered here:  How do I assign an assignment to an individual student?  This will take a bit of work, to say the least. It will be easier if you were able to divide the students into sections (How do I assign an assignment to a course section? ) since otherwise the students will have to be added to the assignment one-by-one.
  • Edit each assignment as a moderated assignment, adding in 3 graders and then selecting the one examiner who will be overseeing the final grade for the students that have been added to that assignment.

So basically, with 9 examiners we're talking about creating 9 separate assignments (1 for each examiner/moderator) and then assigning each assignment to about 11 students each.

I admit I have not tried this on a test course site, so you may want to try something on your Test installation first to see if this works the way I think it might, though you will likely require the assistance of a Canvas administrator to try to "masquerade" as the examiners to see if it works as it should.  (How do I access the Canvas test environment as an instructor? )

Not sure if that helps or just makes things more confusing for you, but it's the best I can think of at the moment, Jürgen!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jurgen_borstler ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

e_j_m_vanwinger
Community Participant

I have this exact wish; would your solution work if you set up several sections in the course, each with their own (separate) instance of the assignment?

Hildi_Pardo
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi, I also would like to have more than one Moderating teacher.   We will have over 2,000 submission to an assignment, several teachers can score on the rubric, but only one moderator at this time.   Has anyone suggested this as an idea for improvement, yet?