cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrr5059
Community Member

How do I hide modules tab instead of disabling it?

I am trying to remove the modules tab from the navigation list and just have a button on my home page to link to the Modules but when I remove modules from the list it disables it instead of just hiding it.  Does anyone know a way to hide the tab without actually disabling it because with it disabled the link will just redirect to the homepage again.

8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mrr5059 ​...

While you could probably remove the "Modules" button altogether by modifying your global CSS or JavaScript file (you'd need admin access to do this, by the way), I'm not sure that you'd really want to do this.  Modifying your global CSS and JavaScript makes changes for every single course in your Canvas instance...so if you made a change that completely removed the "Modules" button, it would not only remove it from your course but every other Canvas course at your school.  If you only have a few courses per semester that you are teaching, I would recommend to do what you're doing...that is, to hide the "Modules" button via your course "Settings".  With the "Modules" button hidden, only you as the instructor will see it grayed out on your navigation menu.  Students will not see it.  Also, even though you have the "Modules" hidden from students, it is not true that when you click on the hidden "Modules" button that it will return to the Home page.  So, this tells me that you may have some kind of link or something else in your course that is routing your "Modules" page to the Home page of your course.  I'd recommend checking out this link:

How do I change the Course Home Page?

I hope this information is helpful to you, Michael.

lbach
Community Participant

I'm actually having this problem with my courses now. Last semester, I could hide the Modules tab in Settings under Navigation, and the students were able to see the modules that were linked to elsewhere in the Canvas page. However, this term, if I move the Modules navigation block into the "Hidden" section, it automatically disables all modules and clicking on a link to a module routes students to the Home page. 

I've tested this in Student View; when Modules appears in the left-hand menu, I can follow a link to a module without a problem. When Modules are hidden, clicking on that same exact link re-routes me to the Home page.

Is there another setting that I'm missing that lets Modules be hidden but enabled? I'm looking at adding a lot more modules in future courses, and I'd rather set up course flow by linking students to the right module in the right spot rather than having students get lost in the Modules tab.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @lbach ‌

I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly - you are using Modules to organize your content, but you don't want students to be able to access the Modules page.

I do use Modules to organize my content, so I went into a classroom I am prepping for Spring term, hid Modules from students, then went into Student View, and clicked a button on my Home page that is linked to a module item. I was navigated to that page in the module just fine. This is expected behavior.

Is the content you you tested this with unpublished by any chance?

I would say that if this is not the behavior you are seeing, then you might want to submit a support ticket.

If I have misunderstood what you are asking, let me know where I went wrong so that I can try again.

Kelley

lbach
Community Participant

Nope, it's all published, but I figured out what the issue is.

If I'm working on a page and insert a link to the module, the default for Canvas is to direct the student to the Modules tab; if the Modules tab is hidden, then linking to any module will redirect the student to the Home page.

If I link to the first page or item in the module, then the students can access the content within the module while the Modules tab is hidden and the rules I set up for working through the module (ie, must complete in order, must mark "Done", etc) still apply.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

That makes sense,  @lbach  .

My own Module links are always to the first and introductory page of my modules, because I don't like the result when I link to just the module - the whole Canvas web page displays, for just one reason.

If your goal is to simplify student navigation, then I would consider posting links on each content item in a module that will return the users to either the module intro page and/or the course home page.

Kelley

paulpri
Community Member

And here is a twist on this. I am not using modules except for a single shared module on plagiarism provided by my university library. So I wanted to hide "Modules" on the main navigation bar and just link to this one module from two different places. One is from an announcement and this does NOT work in student view. There is an error message that says the content is disabled. But the other is from an assignment description. And this DOES work. So the exact same link to a module does not work when embedded in an announcement but does work when embedded in an assignment description. Go figure. I "solved" the problem by changing the announcement to link to the assignment rather than directly to the module. (I think it would also work, as Leslie says, to link to the first page of the module rather than the module itself.)

kickler_d1
Community Member

The real problem isn't solved, though. I want to hide Modules and Chat and other items from the navigation list, but then, my students cannot get to the modules page from a link on the home page. It redirects to the home page. Same with Chat. I want to use it, but only when I provide the link to chat. I don't want my students to have free access to it. But I would have to enable and disable it every time I wanted to use it. Plain and simple, you should be able to hide and/or disable - two different options. 

Any progress on this?  I'm having the same problem...without the ability to nest modules, I have a lot of them and I don't want students to be able to access the modules page.  However, if I hide it, it also disables it.  So any link to it is redirected to the home page.  Help???