cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lynn_black
Community Member

How do I import a quiz from one course to another?

Jump to solution

I would like to import a quiz from one of my first semester courses into a second semester course.  

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @lynn_black and welcome to the Community!  The best way to do this is to copy the Canvas course and indicate that you want to select the content to import into your new course.  At this point you can pick which content (including quizzes) you would like copied from the previous shell.  This process is described here, https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12935 

Best wishes and let us know if this doesn't work for you!

View solution in original post

billydebenham
Community Participant

For everyone paying attention, this sounds simple, but actually involves something like 10 steps to do. It hurts my brain to think that this is the official way to do something so common. Here is the workflow. Go to target course, click settings, click import course content (Which has a picture of an arrow LEAVING a box. Who does that for IMPORTING??), then click content type dropdown, click on copy a canvas course, unclick include completed courses if you have many like me, click select specific content, click import, then wait an unspecified amount of time (I have waited an hour and had to make a quiz by hand again, do this in advance!), then click select content, then navigate a tree to the quiz...........

Completely mind blowing someone would ship that as a finished product. That's more like an embarassing trick someone would have to import quizzes when the rational way of doing it temporarily broken. PLEASE FIX THIS!!! go back in time and fix it before the coronavirus 

10 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @lynn_black and welcome to the Community!  The best way to do this is to copy the Canvas course and indicate that you want to select the content to import into your new course.  At this point you can pick which content (including quizzes) you would like copied from the previous shell.  This process is described here, https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12935 

Best wishes and let us know if this doesn't work for you!

billydebenham
Community Participant

For everyone paying attention, this sounds simple, but actually involves something like 10 steps to do. It hurts my brain to think that this is the official way to do something so common. Here is the workflow. Go to target course, click settings, click import course content (Which has a picture of an arrow LEAVING a box. Who does that for IMPORTING??), then click content type dropdown, click on copy a canvas course, unclick include completed courses if you have many like me, click select specific content, click import, then wait an unspecified amount of time (I have waited an hour and had to make a quiz by hand again, do this in advance!), then click select content, then navigate a tree to the quiz...........

Completely mind blowing someone would ship that as a finished product. That's more like an embarassing trick someone would have to import quizzes when the rational way of doing it temporarily broken. PLEASE FIX THIS!!! go back in time and fix it before the coronavirus 

@billydebenham ‌, this conversation is over a year old. Since then, Canvas has released Direct Share functionality. Instructions for quickly copying or sharing a quiz to a different course or instructor are in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26432-how-do-i-use-direct-share-to-copy-a-quiz-to-another-c... 

billydebenham
Community Participant

Thank you! Nice to see that it changed, less than a month ago though! 

billydebenham
Community Participant

People who use casually canvas don't follow release notes. The guide on how to do it, which would be found via google, was made a month ago.

klevel
Community Member

I have a similar issue, very frustrating to (a) not know how to do this, and (b) be denied privileges to visit the link you provide.

hockip
Community Member

Same!!! I am SO frustrated with this!

When I click on the link, I receive the following message: You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Link I was referring to: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26432-how-do-i-use-direct-share-to-copy-a-quiz-to-another-c...

Thanks,

Steve Rich