cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
serflingli
Community Member

How do I import tests and quizzes from Exam view software?

Jump to solution

Currently using Examview software to generate tests and quizzes.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
awilliams
Community Champion

You can export into QTI format from ExamView. We have had the best luck with exporting to the WebCT CE 4-6/Vista 3-4 format and then importing the content as a QTI zip file. Here's a good PDF with screenshots explaining the process from Laredo Community College. The only thing is they use the Blackboard 7 format when exporting. Try WebCT CE first as that's given us the best results. The rest of the steps are the same.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
awilliams
Community Champion

You can export into QTI format from ExamView. We have had the best luck with exporting to the WebCT CE 4-6/Vista 3-4 format and then importing the content as a QTI zip file. Here's a good PDF with screenshots explaining the process from Laredo Community College. The only thing is they use the Blackboard 7 format when exporting. Try WebCT CE first as that's given us the best results. The rest of the steps are the same.

View solution in original post

kedgecomb
Community Champion

awilliams​,

Have you had any reports or issues when importing ExamView quizzes and the points values do not come over correctly?!?!  For example, each question is worth 100 points!!!!  Smiley Sad

awilliams
Community Champion

Hey  @kedgecomb ​

No, we haven't, but we don't do this often.

ejackson
Community Champion

I just tried this yesterday, and I am getting the same issue with point values. However, I'm noticing that True/False questions come in at 1 point each, but multiple choice, completion, etc., come in at 100 points each.

I met with one of our faculty members who uses this method, and he has experienced the same issue with the point values.

The faculty member I was talking to said he gets around this by putting his questions into a "Group" and making the group worth a certain number of points. However, that doesn't work for everybody, because there are many cases where you don't want to use groups and have your questions randomized.

I checked my settings in ExamView and the point values are all set at 1 point as the Default Value, so why it's publishing into Canvas differently is a puzzle. And unfortunately, it's a deal-breaker for me.  😞  There is no way I (or any of our instructors) would have time to go into each and every question in each and every test and change the point value from 100 to one. Each one. Individually.

john_williamson
Community Contributor

You might want to try to import your exam view questions in  another format.  I have been importing my exam view materials by first exporting the material as a blackboard 7.1-9.0 file (See below). Then importing the material as Blackboard 6/7/8/9 export .zip file (See below).  This seems to work fairly well for multiple choice, matching, yes/no, and completion.  For numeric response the questions are imported as fill in the blank.

177391_pastedImage_1.png177393_pastedImage_1.png

177392_pastedImage_2.png177394_pastedImage_2.png

awilliams

@ejackson ​

I will try that. Thanks!!

John, I tried what you suggested - - I exported as Blackboard 7.1-9.0, and then imported as a Blackboard 6/7/8/9 .zip file. It all came over pretty well, including images in the questions that had them, AND the point values were 1 point per question, the way they should be. The only problem I had was Multiple Response questions didn't come over the way they should (they came over as "Text-no question"). Since there were only a couple of those that would be pretty easy to fix.

THANK YOU for the suggestion, and I will definitely be using this process any time I have ExamView test banks to assist our faculty with!

How to do you import questions as a group as suggested?

That pdf link goes to a kami website, not the pdf. I tried a second time after joining kami.

Tags (2)