cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcarlson
Community Participant

How do I insert an MS drawing into a quiz question?

Jump to solution

I have drawings in a Quiz in MS Word format.  I would like to use these drawings in a Canvas Quiz.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @mcarlson ‌ - Basically, you have to convert that image into a JPG file or PNG file so that Canvas will understand what to do with it.  (There are other image types that Canvas accepts, but those are the most common.)  The quick-and-dirty way to do this, frankly, is with a screen capture program or the screen capture program that comes with your PC (if you're on Windows, it's the Windows Snipping Tool; Mac, I'm not sure of).  Just have the document on the screen and click and drag over the part of the document you want to capture, give it a name, and there you have it.

The other method is one that Microsoft themselves have a help page on.  Take a look here:

Save a picture as a .jpg, .gif, or .png - Office Support 

Even though it indicates it's for Word 2007, the method works just as well on the current versions of Word.  I just tried it on Word 2013, and it's fine.

If you have a LOT of such images, there are a few programs on the web that will claim to do this for you, but I have not tried any of them and (frankly) would probably not trust them, especially for any documents where there may be a privacy issue.  One I found just using our good friend Google was this one:  Word to JPEG – Convert Word files to JPEG Images Online   , but I personally would do that as a last resort.

Hope this helps a bit!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @mcarlson ‌ - Basically, you have to convert that image into a JPG file or PNG file so that Canvas will understand what to do with it.  (There are other image types that Canvas accepts, but those are the most common.)  The quick-and-dirty way to do this, frankly, is with a screen capture program or the screen capture program that comes with your PC (if you're on Windows, it's the Windows Snipping Tool; Mac, I'm not sure of).  Just have the document on the screen and click and drag over the part of the document you want to capture, give it a name, and there you have it.

The other method is one that Microsoft themselves have a help page on.  Take a look here:

Save a picture as a .jpg, .gif, or .png - Office Support 

Even though it indicates it's for Word 2007, the method works just as well on the current versions of Word.  I just tried it on Word 2013, and it's fine.

If you have a LOT of such images, there are a few programs on the web that will claim to do this for you, but I have not tried any of them and (frankly) would probably not trust them, especially for any documents where there may be a privacy issue.  One I found just using our good friend Google was this one:  Word to JPEG – Convert Word files to JPEG Images Online   , but I personally would do that as a last resort.

Hope this helps a bit!