How do I invite students to attend Zoom? How do you record the lecture for students to look at on their own time?

Jump to solution
alan_perry
Community Novice

How do you record the lecture for students to look at on their own time?

How do you invite students to a lecture?  

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @alan_perry  Welcome to the Canvas Community...thanks for posting your question.  As you may know, Zoom can be integrated into Canvas courses via the Zoom LTI.  At our Technical College, we have purchased somewhere between 50-60 "Pro" Zoom licenses that we have distributed to any faculty member who has requested using Zoom in their Canvas classes.  Once they have been granted a license, they enable the Zoom button within their Canvas courses, and then they can start scheduling any meetings with their students.  While this particular video isn't from our school, it does a good job of showing you exactly what the initial setup is like:

Once an instructor has set up the details of a Zoom meeting, the students can also click on the Zoom menu in their course navigation, and they will see the meeting room to join.  From your point of view, you can configure the meeting to record automatically upon starting the meeting, or you can manually start recording the meeting at any time.  Once the meeting has stopped recording and the meeting has ended, a recording of the meeting will get generated so that you and others can review it later on.  It's been my experience that the recording will consist of a video (MP4), an audio version (W4A), and possibly even a closed captioned transcript.

I would suggest that you reach out to your school's local Canvas administrator or your school's Online Learning/eLearning department to see if they have Zoom already integrated with your school's Canvas environment so that you might be able to begin using it in your Canvas course(s).

I hope this information will be of help to you, Alan.  Please let Community members know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post