cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwenzell
Community Participant

How do I log in for multiple schools?

I teach at three colleges and currently am only using Canvas at one; however, the other two are switching over in the fall.  I remember being told that I would be able to access all of my classes on one page.  How do I log in if I am at three schools?  Thanks.    Jim

10 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jwenzell , I'll be honest that I'm not exactly sure how it works or how it happened, but I've got courses from three different schools in my main College course list. It's been a while, but I think that when I accepted the course invitation from the second school (and possibly the third) that it somehow linked things together. So yes, I guess it's possible! How, I have no idea and I'm hoping someone else can chime in and let us know!

abunag
Community Champion

That's interesting, Kona.  Were all three schools on different instances of Canvas?  My understanding was that since the login authentication was separate for each instance, that crossing over like that wasn't possible.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@abunag , here are the three instances:

When I click on a course that's located outside my primary instance (but shows up in my primary) I'm asked to log into the new instance.

RobDitto
Community Champion

You likely were sent a "merge" offer by email. Our Law students often get those, as their Canvas instance is separate from the main University of Pennsylvania instance.  I recently learned there is another way for a user to accomplish this type of merge, described in this guide:

@worrellj ‌, provide you have the same email address registered in your Canvas settings at all three colleges, you might be able to use the guide linked above.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jwenzell 

Our State consortium of community and technical colleges have all signed trust agreements, and a trust has been set up between all of our schools, I have courses from about 8 or ten different colleges displaying in my courses list - maybe more, I haven't actually counted in a long time.

This can be set up by your Canvas admins to work for you also, if the participating schools have an agreement in place. I would talk with your Canvas admins about setting this up. If your admins are unsure how to do this, have them contact their Canvas Customer Success Managers for assistance.

Also, this may automatically happen. When we first switched to Canvas five years ago, if Canvas recognized your user ID it would ask if your want to merge your accounts. If you clicked "yes", then it would merge them Our state consortium turned this off so they could investigate the ramification. I picked up several accounts before they turned it off.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @jwenzell ‌, we've reached out to the CSM (Customer Success Manager) for your school, and she will be working with your Implementation Consultant to investigate a solution for you.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@jwenzell , we're following up to make sure that you got the help you needed. For now, we're marking this question as Assumed Answered, but the discussion remains open for participation, so please let us know if you still need help with this!

RobDitto
Community Champion

@jwenzell ‌, if you have the same email address in each of these school's Canvas instances, then this technique from the Canvas Guides may help:

bonnie_altus
Community Member

I teach at two schools and attend one school, all completely separate unaffiliated schools, who use canvas.  I would like to be able to get notifications on my mobile app from all of them so I know when questions are waiting for me.  However that appears to be impossible.  If I switch users, it logs out of one and logs into the other so I can only get notifications from one school at a time.