cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boles
Community Participant

How do I make a copy of a quiz?

Jump to solution

Another instructor asked how to make a copy of a quiz for a different section of a class.  My question is different.  Students in my classes take a quiz individually and then they take the exact same quiz as a group.  We just switched to Canvas.  In the prior LMS I made a copy of the quiz and renamed it.  Students got individual scores on both, but I wouldn't have a problem with a group leader entering the groups' collective answer and all getting the same score.  I just don't want to have to re-create the exact same quiz for the individual and the group.  Any suggestions?

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Hey boles​, you can get a copy of the quiz by following the steps in How do I import content from another Canvas course​ and selecting just the course you are in and the quiz you want to copy. I know it seems a bit counter-intuitive but when you import items from a course into itself it creates duplicates. Note: Make sure you follow the steps to "Select Specific Content" so you don't wind up with duplicates of everything!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Hey boles​, you can get a copy of the quiz by following the steps in How do I import content from another Canvas course​ and selecting just the course you are in and the quiz you want to copy. I know it seems a bit counter-intuitive but when you import items from a course into itself it creates duplicates. Note: Make sure you follow the steps to "Select Specific Content" so you don't wind up with duplicates of everything!

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

boles, awilliams​ has given you a great explanation and has pointed you to the perfect resource. I'd like to add that  @James_Kocher_UF ​ has written up the process in colloquial form as a document: Copying items in a course​. It's in the Instructional Designers​ space, and joining is just a few clicks away..

Hi. I can copy the quiz into my course - within the same course... I am curious if all settings from that quiz import - ie - outcomes aligned to that quiz?

boles
Community Participant

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

boles
Community Participant

Thanks!  Impressed that my question was answered so quickly and with your follow up.  Brilliant!

terry_bain
Community Member

This is indeed a way to duplicate a quiz and/or other content, but I just used it to do that, but I'd just like to say that this is a workaround rather than a feature and that CANVAS doesn't make it easier to duplicate content (and make the duplicate unpublished if it is published in the class) is my single biggest frustration so far with the platform.

Hello,  @terry_bain  Welcome to the Canvas Community! You've unearthed a three-year-old thread, and much has transpired since then. With respect to duplicating content, our new quiz tool, Quizzes.Next, is an LTI with an assignment at its foundation—and can therefore be duplicated with just a few clicks. Please refer to How do I duplicate an assignment?

If you'd like to learn more about Quizzes.Next, please look through the resources in the Quizzes.Next User Group‌.

detour-jenn
Community Participant

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot when not seeing a quiz in the course you copied into or imported to?

I've tried both scenarios and while the system tells me the copying/importing is successful I don't actually see the quiz content in the course as I would expect.

Thanks in advance for any advice here.