How do I make files visible to students?

Jump to solution
tinahobb
Community Novice

How do I make files visible to students?

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @tinahobb  Welcome to the Canvas Community. First, make sure your FILES menu area is visible to students...in other words, it does not have that crossed-out eye icon next to it.  (Or better yet, head into Student View to see if you can see it there; this will also come into play later when you start determining which files to display to students.)  If the FILES menu is not visible, you can read about how to solve that here: How do I manage Course Navigation links? 

After that, determine which files you want students to see.  For example, if you have a file in there called "mid-term exam," you may not want students to see it yet!  Check this lesson: How do I use Files as an instructor? and especially this lesson: How do I restrict files and folders to students in Canvas?   Canvas has many great ways to hide files that you should review.  For example--to use the example above--let's say you have a future assignment that you have not published or made available yet called "Mid Term" that links to that file.  Even if the assignment itself has not been published or made available yet, students may be able to see that linked file if it's available in the FILES area.  So that's why it's important to know about the file permissions.  AND (as also mentioned earlier) use Student View!  Often!  (This is probably all more than you wanted to know! Smiley Happy )

Hope this helps, Tina!

View solution in original post