Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdrewery

How do I move old courses/groups into the Past Enrollment section?

Jump to solution

I currently have 16 old courses (some published, some unpublished) and 1 old group that are filling up the My Courses section. I have already starred my relevant and current courses/groups in the View All/Customize section, however I want to get rid of the old courses and groups that are still filling up the My Courses section once I click on the View All/Customize button. I am wondering if there is a way to move the older courses (from past semesters) to the Past Enrollment section of that page. I am not sure why those older courses are even still in there... especially the unpublished ones from past semesters. This is a problem for me and quite frustrating because I have extra/older courses (obviously only the published ones) that are taking up space in my Calendar and my Grades sections. The only courses/groups that I would like to have in those sections (and the My Courses) section are the four courses I have starred and the group that is relevant to this semester. In the following pictures, I have put black boxes around the courses that I am currently enrolled in and using on a daily basis. The others are just the extras that I am trying to get rid of. If someone could please help me, that would be much appreciated! I feel as if I have tried everything!

My Courses and Groups.pngMy Grades.png

My Calendar.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jazemlya
Community Contributor

Hello  @mdrewery ,

I happened to be checking through the community and saw this thread.  I wanted to let you know that currently Indiana University does not conclude its courses in Canvas for various reasons.  Because of this old courses and groups will continue to show up on your course navigation.  We are currently exploring various ways to fix this issue as we not only have many students and instructors in the same situation as yourself.  I am going to forward your information on to our support team to let them know your frustration.

In the meantime these 2 feature requests may help:

This one will have open voting soon and i think would help to atleast push newer course to the top of the list:

This one was actually introduced by one of my colleagues here at IU, even though it is archived feel free to comment on it and let them know you still would like to see this feature implemented:

I will tell you this issue is one of our top priorities to get resolved for out instance of Canvas and hopefully we can work with Canvas to have some kind of resolution put in place in the near future.  Let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

Justin

View solution in original post

9 Replies
brueckert
Community Champion

Hi  @mdrewery ,

I believe the past enrollments section is populated based on Term definitions (from the Admin at your institution) and/or the start/end dates in the course settings (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Can you move the courses to an expired term or change the end date so that it's no longer in an active date range?

Capture.PNG

Where would I find the option for the course dates to be changed? When I click on an individual course, no settings option comes up.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Settings for the course are located on the bottom left of your navigational links.

I'm sorry, but I still don't have a "Settings" tab... Is it because I am a student?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mdrewery ​, yes, that is exactly the reason. Students do not have the ability to control which courses are sent to "Past enrollments" and for now (this is changing soon I think) groups never go away. The best thing you can do is have "starred" the courses you want (as you already are) and contact Canvas support at your Institution to see if they have a process for moving old courses to the "Past Enrollments" stage. To contact Canvas Support go to your "View all or Customize" (My Courses) page and then click the "Help" link (top right) and "Report a Problem." Explain what your issue is, similar to what you did in this discussion.

Good luck and hope they can do something for you!

brueckert
Community Champion

I apologize, I should have looked closer at your screenshots. Yes, as a student in a course you do not have permissions to edit any settings. You might throw a note to the course instructors or to the Canvas admin at your institution and request that they conclude past courses. It does make for a messy menu and calendar.

Thank you very much!

Thank you very much!

jazemlya
Community Contributor

Hello  @mdrewery ,

I happened to be checking through the community and saw this thread.  I wanted to let you know that currently Indiana University does not conclude its courses in Canvas for various reasons.  Because of this old courses and groups will continue to show up on your course navigation.  We are currently exploring various ways to fix this issue as we not only have many students and instructors in the same situation as yourself.  I am going to forward your information on to our support team to let them know your frustration.

In the meantime these 2 feature requests may help:

This one will have open voting soon and i think would help to atleast push newer course to the top of the list:

This one was actually introduced by one of my colleagues here at IU, even though it is archived feel free to comment on it and let them know you still would like to see this feature implemented:

I will tell you this issue is one of our top priorities to get resolved for out instance of Canvas and hopefully we can work with Canvas to have some kind of resolution put in place in the near future.  Let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

Justin