cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdmooy
Community Member

How do I print singe page summary of only the assignments that have been graded?

Jump to solution

How do I print singe page summary of only the assignments that have been graded?  When I attempt to print a summary of test 1 scores, Canvas prints a multi page document which includes all assignments.  It is impossible to post this in my class.  Have you looked at Micrograde software by the now defunct software company Chariot?  Old school software that just worked!  It also included a column with the the student's average cumulative grade on assignments that were completed.  Very helpful for students to glance at on the way in and out of the room.  (Yes, I know they can look this up online, but some students don't.)

Thanks for reading.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
janieruddy
Instructure
Instructure

Hello James,

I too feel it is important to make sure students are reviewing grades and they may not always do so on their own.  In the gradebook there is a button to the right that says export.  This creates a CSV (excel) download of your gradebook.  You can deleted the columns that you do not wish to appear.  On this grade sheet would be the students' final averages as well if you wished for that to appear.  I hope this is what you were referencing, if not let me know how else we may assist you.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
janieruddy
Instructure
Instructure

Hello James,

I too feel it is important to make sure students are reviewing grades and they may not always do so on their own.  In the gradebook there is a button to the right that says export.  This creates a CSV (excel) download of your gradebook.  You can deleted the columns that you do not wish to appear.  On this grade sheet would be the students' final averages as well if you wished for that to appear.  I hope this is what you were referencing, if not let me know how else we may assist you.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@jdmooy , if I am understanding you correctly, you wish to print out a sheet that lists all students' grades on an assessment so you can post it on a bulletin board for all to see. Doing so is a violation of the FERPA rules that govern students' privacy, and is not something Canvas would wish to accommodate. Have you vetted this practice with your college's administrators?

If you are seeking to print test analytics for a particular quiz--perhaps a graphic that displays average scores without revealing individual students' grades--please clarify your question so we can continue to assist you.

jdmooy
Community Member
Hello Stefanie,

I've been teaching for 30 years and definitely know better.  Canvas has the ability to sort by alternate ID.  The school assigns it's own student number and I only use the last 3 digits sorted numerically.  I inform the class of this before the first posting and offer to make up a number for any students who feel uncomfortable using the last 3 digits of their school ID. (Which is 8 characters long.)  When I post, it is by 3 digit numbers in numerical order. 

Jim

@jdmooy ​, as long as you and your college are comfortable with this approach, the guidance janiesolinski-ruddy​ provided should work for you. You can download the gradebook into a .csv file, delete the columns you don't want to display, and replace identifying information as appropriate.

Thank you Janie,

This leaves me with the formatting duties.  I was hoping for a more thorough grade book with the ability to print these options directly from Canvas or at the very least export a formatted PDF.

Thanks again  for your helpful input.  I hope a more robust grade book is in Canvas' future.

Jim

@jdmooy ​, it just so happens that Canvas is in the midst of a large gradebook enhancement project, and you can learn more about it at