cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robert_jewitt
Community Participant

How do I release annotations and comments to my students via Speed Grader

I am the main teacher (Lead Teacher) on a Canvas module. I have setup an assignment which was submitted via TurnItIn. I was able to mark student work and leave comments in Speed Grader. I also have left annotations on the documents using the Speed Grader tool. However, my students couldn't see any of this material. The grade also did not carry over into the gradebook (I've had to manually input these).

Does anybody have any ideas what I've done wrong? Might it have something to do with ticking the moderated box in the assignment options?

EDIT: I've added a 4th screenshot showing the mark-up in Speed-Grader

Tags (2)
23 Replies
tdelillo
Community Champion

I'm wondering if this is more of a Turnitin issue than a Speedgrader issue. Are you actually doing the annotations in Speedgrader or in Turnitin? According to your screenshots, the assignment is locked as of today, so students wouldn't be able to see any feedback in Turnitin itself. Regarding the grade, I know we've had that bug in the past where grades entered in Turnitin do not pass back to Canvas. I'm tagging this with turnitin to maybe get more eyes on it, because I'm far from an expert.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'll also tag  @dhulsey ‌ to see if he might be able to shed some light on this for you,  @robert_jewitt .  Good luck!

robert_jewitt
Community Participant

Hi - I am using the Canvas SpeedGrader tool, not TurnItIn to do the marking and annotations. It looks like TurnItIn has passed the files over to Canvas well enough as its the Canvas interface I'm using. I even get the option to download all the annotated work as a PDF so that's a stop-gap solution for now. The problem is that it doesn't export any comments from the right-hand sidebar

I've changed the dates of the Assign To field a few times in order to troubleshoot - originally it was set for next month but that was when the trouble first arose. I only changed it to the Dec 1st date moments before posting my plea for help here in a last ditch attempt to see if that would do, well, anything.

It's currently set to June 1st 2018 and students still can't see the work Smiley Sad

natalie_norton1
Community Champion

Just an idea, but it looks like your speedgrader comments might still be in draft? See the little red * next to the comments under 'assignment comments' on the right hand side? A few of our lecturers have had this problem but fine as soon as you 'submit' each comment. 

dhulsey
Community Champion

oops! I just saw this, but, I think Natalie has given what appears to be the  solution. Smiley Happy  

cgurysh
Community Participant

Have you followed the steps to post final grades on a moderated assignment? Here are the directions form the Canvas Guides. I have several teachers click the Moderate Grades button unintentionally and then not know how to finalize the grades. 

Tried this and initial reports from the students suggest they still can't see the comments (or even find the Speedgrader/DocViewer tool) Smiley Sad

oh no! I think you said you had ticked moderated grading, so just to check have you clicked on the 'moderate' button (under assignment) and then 'post' on the next screen? (I think Cara posted a link to the guide below). That should then populate the gradebook with the grades. 

We did have an issue last year where if you had a Turnitin assignment with moderated grading you had to have a grade for every single assignment or it got stuck. I think it was fixed, but might be worth double checking. 

robert_jewitt
Community Participant

Despite having the moderate tick box selected in the assignment settings I don’t actually get a Moderate button anywhere. I am about to give up on this one