cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lisa_rogers
Community Member

How do I remove a due date from an assignment?

Jump to solution

We are just starting in Canvas and I have copied the Canvas Challenge from the Commons. Some of the assignments have due dates that I want to remove but I am unable to do so. I know that you can have blank ones, since some of the assignments do not have due dates. I have searched the Help documents, but can not find how to do this.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok, I was able to get that error message by purposefully typing a space in the box. Can you make sure you don't have any spaces in the date box by pressing backspace a couple times to make sure they are all deleted.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

lisa.rogers​, you can change (remove) the due date from pretty much anywhere you can access the assignment. If you've clicked on an assignment and want to remove the due date (and/or other dates associated with the assignment), click on the "Edit" button and then scroll down to the bottom of the page to where the assignment dates are located. Just delete them out (or change to new dates) and click the "Save" button.

The easiest way if there are a number of them that you'd like to change is to go to the Assignment link (on the left side of the page in your course) because it shows all of the assignments in your course. You can then click on an assignment, click the edit button, then scroll down and delete the dates - this guide will show you more information on this - How do I add Assignment details? You can also easily change the Assignment due dates from the Calendar if that's easier for you - How do I change the date of an Event or Assignment on the Calendar?

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any additional questions!

lisa_rogers
Community Member

Thanks for the prompt reply

I tried that doing that from both the original assignments and from the assignments link, but when I blank it out I get the message -- "That's not a date!" and it keeps the original date.

That's strange. I just downloaded the Canvas Challenge from Commons into a blank course and there were no due dates associated with any of the assignments; see screenshot below - this is from the Assignment link/page. Could you send me a screen shot of what you're seeing? Both the Assignment link/page and the due dates at the bottom of one of your assignments? That might help me figure out what's going on with your course.

AssignmentList.png

lisa_rogers
Community Member

47841_pastedImage_0.png

47842_pastedImage_1.png

I may have gotten the Challenge from our Customer Success Manager, but I could use the Commons one, it has all of the things I need.

lisa.rogers​, I couldn't reproduce that in my sandbox but I'm curious, does it give you the same error if you click on "More Options" in the lower left-hand part of that box and change the date from there?

awilliams
Community Champion

Oh, also I did notice that after I removed the date from one of my assignments the way you showed in that screenshot the page had to be reloaded before the changes were visible.

Ok, I was able to get that error message by purposefully typing a space in the box. Can you make sure you don't have any spaces in the date box by pressing backspace a couple times to make sure they are all deleted.

View solution in original post

I agree with trying what awilliams​ suggested with, try clicking more options to see if you can change the date from the full Assignment settings page and/or make sure you've reloaded the page to see if the changes took effect. If none of that works, then copying directly from Commons may be the best thing to do.

lisa_rogers
Community Member

Thanks everyone for the help -- it was a space.