cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cslove
Community Member

How do I reset/clear a submitted a assignment?

Jump to solution

How do I reset or clear an assignment a student has submitted? For example, the student uploaded the wrong file. How do clear it so she can submit again?

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @cslove  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.

The short answer is...you can't.  However, there are a couple Feature Ideas open for voting that I'll point you to:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4394-delete-submissions-by-students 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1293-move-or-delete-incorrectly-submitted-assignments 

If either or both of these Feature Ideas align with something you'd like to see implemented in Canvas, I would encourage you to vote for them and also add a comment to the bottom of each as to why this kind of feature would be important to you.

I know this probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but I hope it will help to answer your question, Christopher.

View solution in original post

Regarding Incorrectly Submitted assignments to Canvas App---I had a student to submit a document to an assignment that isn't due until six weeks from now. They have since submitted to the correct assignment; however, I am going to have a notification on the Canva app for six weeks stating that I need to grade a paper that isn't even what I should grade for that assignment. Yes, no delete is necessary when a student can resubmit again and again, but there are still circumstances where it would be beneficial.

tmg
Community Member

If you can't clear an assignment that was submitted incorrectly, can you at least make some kind of alert that lets you know its been submitted again so we don't have to continuously check to see if the student has submitted again?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @cslove  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.

The short answer is...you can't.  However, there are a couple Feature Ideas open for voting that I'll point you to:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4394-delete-submissions-by-students 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1293-move-or-delete-incorrectly-submitted-assignments 

If either or both of these Feature Ideas align with something you'd like to see implemented in Canvas, I would encourage you to vote for them and also add a comment to the bottom of each as to why this kind of feature would be important to you.

I know this probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but I hope it will help to answer your question, Christopher.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @cslove  and I'll add my own  Welcome to the Canvas Community!  @chofer ‌ has given you excellent guidance (thanks, Chris!): an instructor cannot delete a student's assignment submission. I just wanted to add that it's not necessary to clear prior submissions for students to be able to submit again: students can re-submit to the same assignment as long as the Available until date has not passed. For instructors, the most recent submission displays in the SpeedGrader preview pane by default, and instructors can access all of the student's prior submissions through the drop-down at the upper right of the SpeedGrader page for the student.

Fursty
Community Participant

Really, Why am I not allowed to clear an assignment? 

Once again, another faculty feature that is missing from Canvas. 

Keep the old one fine, but allow us to clear and have the student resubmit,,... WITHOUT making me delete or MOVE....   

Once again, more proof amongst a long list of faculty features that are simply absent in this LMS. Their absence effectively shows (once again to me) that faculty is and was never a priority in this LMS.

Regarding Incorrectly Submitted assignments to Canvas App---I had a student to submit a document to an assignment that isn't due until six weeks from now. They have since submitted to the correct assignment; however, I am going to have a notification on the Canva app for six weeks stating that I need to grade a paper that isn't even what I should grade for that assignment. Yes, no delete is necessary when a student can resubmit again and again, but there are still circumstances where it would be beneficial.

tmg
Community Member

If you can't clear an assignment that was submitted incorrectly, can you at least make some kind of alert that lets you know its been submitted again so we don't have to continuously check to see if the student has submitted again?

0 Kudos