cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sringsmuth
Community Participant

How do I restrict module items to specific groups?

I have my class do case study analyses while working in groups. How can I create a Case Study module wherein I have a PDF describing Case Study A, and restrict access to that item so that only students in Group A can view it? And the same for Case Study B/Group B, etc. I don't currently see any way to restrict individual Module items or even whole Modules beyond just adding prerequisites which doesn't really do what I need.

Thank you!

Tags (1)
11 Replies
jschaffer
Community Champion

sringsmuth‌,

Have you tried looking at sections?  We are exploring using modules that are filled with assignments and resources that are only assigned to a specific course section.  This way, if you are not in a specific section, you do not see, or have access to the breakout materials in that module. 

Jason Schaffer

sringsmuth
Community Participant

Good afternoon Robbie,

You can mark the question as Answered if you like, but the issue has not at all been solved. Brightspace/D2L (which my institution currently uses, though we are open to other options) has an extraordinarily simply way to do the types of restrictions I mentioned in the thread:

https://vimeo.com/132740831

The amount of hoop-jumping and hacking required to get Canvas to do anything like this is not really a viable option for our professors. In my mind the question has been Answered only insofar as the answer is, apparently, "No, Canvas can't do this."