cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elekes_8
Community Participant

How do I save a grade and comments for individual students as a draft grade and publish later?

I have some student graders. As part of their grading training I would like to be able to let them grade and make comments but save both as a draft until I can check their work and make sure it is appropriate. How do I do that?  Does the mute function do that? and Can I do it for individual students? f this is possible, how will I be able to identify easily which students have draft grades? In our D2L system it was easy to save as a draft and then publish the grade and comments when ready. It was also very easy to identify which students had draft grades.

3 Replies
dwahl_sales
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @elekes_8 ​,

The mute assignment feature will allow you to hide the grade from all students, this will allow you to audit the student graders' work, and then you can unmute the assignment.

Another option is to use the "moderated grading" feature- this allows the student grader to grade, leave comments, and then you can moderate that- i.e. publish that as the final grade or re-grade yourself with your own comments for the student.

elekes_8
Community Participant

Tuesday, September 06, 2016 7:53 PM

I tried the moderated grading feature. As far as I can tell, once I have selected moderated grading, no grades will be released until I select post. Once I select post, moderated grading is no longer active.  This only partially fills my need. I would like to release an individual grade after it is finished being reviewed. I have several graders every semester and they are typically each at a different level in their ability/expertise at grading the assignments. Some graders may be ready to grade on their own rapidly and others take much longer or never.  There is one assignment that takes 3 graders and my review about 2-3 weeks m to grade. It is a difficult assignment to grade.  In D2L, I did not have to make students wait 2 or 3 weeks to get their grade. It also allowed me to work with graders that needed more time and just review their work if needed. The ability to save an individual students grade and feedback as a draft is what makes grading assignments easier  in a large enrollment class and is better for the student.  I believe Mute assignment feature functions in the same manner.  Any other ideas?

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @elekes_8 ​...

I noticed that there hasn't been any activity in this topic since early September, so I am going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered".  If you feel that Danny's answer is "Correct", you should be able to mark it as such.  Also, you and other Community members can still post questions/comments to this topic that are related to your question.  I hope this is okay with you, Karen.