cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boles
Community Participant

How do I send imported announcements?

Jump to solution

I have imported announcements from a prior semester.  But I'm not sure how to resend an announcement.  Edit and save it?  How do I know if it has been sent?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jul_Cro
Community Participant

Hi @kthompson2 , 

You will have to follow @Stefanie 's advice and create a new announcement. She houses her announcements in a separate course and when she needs them she copies and pastes the announcement into the new announcement. Unfortunately, the notification triggers for announcements only happen when (a) the course is published, (b) the announcement creation date is between the start and end date of the course, and (c) the announcement is created in the current course. NOTE: I would love if someone could verify this statement as fact because I would love to be able to explain this to our faculty as intended behaviors. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello boles​...

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "send" announcement.  Do you mean that you want your announcement(s) that you imported from another course to show up for students?  If so, then yes, you would need to go into that announcement, edit it, and then possibly delay the posting until a date/time that you wanted it to appear for students in your course.  Students would be notified about the announcement based on their own personal notification settings that they set within their Canvas profile.

I hope I've helped answer your question, but if not, can you please provide some additional detail so that we can continue to help troubleshoot?  Thanks Elson!

boles
Community Participant

Hi Chris -

Two things happen when one creates an announcement. One, it is posted in Canvas so that when students log in and click on Announcements, they can view it. Two, they receive an email with the announcement. "Send" thus means that an announcement which has been posted in Canvas has also been sent to all students in their campus email system (by default on my campus). When you refer to "delay the posting" what you mean is delay these two things: delay the posting in Canvas, and delay the sending of the announcement. Both happen automatically when a new announcement is saved.

But both of these two things do not happen with imported announcements. They are already posted and students can view them, even though they have not been sent to them. I had presumed that one could edit an imported announcement, or create a delayed "send" date, and when the announcement was saved or the post date occurred, the announcement would be sent to all students. That doesn't happen. One has to create an entirely new message for it to be sent to students.

Thus, I have two issues:

1. I don't want students to see the imported announcements. They should be hidden.

2. I want to edit those imported announcements and then send them.

But I hope that I'm wrong about my current understanding and you or someone has a solution to my issue.

Thanks!

Elson Boles

Professor, Department of Sociology

Saginaw Valley State University

Gilbertson Hall N266

University Center, 48710

Vice-President, Four-Year Colleges

Michigan Association of Higher Education

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi boles​...

Thank you for the additional information and clarification.  And, I can see why you wouldn't want your students to see the imported announcements in your course.  I'm not exactly sure how else you would go about sending an announcement to your students other than re-posting the announcement or sending a separate message via the Inbox (Conversations) area of your course.  (I'm sure other people may have better ideas.)  I know this wouldn't be ideal, but could you save the announcements in a Word document and then, instead of importing announcements each semester, just copy/paste them as new announcements inside your course?  It is not ideal because 1) the announcements are already posted in one of your Canvas courses, and 2) it will take a bit more time to copy/paste.  However, this might ultimately accomplish what you are wanting to do?

As I was browsing the Community, I looked to the "sorting hat" of Feature Ideas related to announcements: Feature Ideas: Announcements.  There are about 1 1/2 pages of ideas to look through.  Would any of these help address your questions?  Some of the ideas are now archived, but you can still comment on them if you find any of interest...to state why that particular Feature Idea would be important to you.

Hopefully this information is helpful to you.  Feel free to continue the conversation...as I'm sure others may have some other thoughts, too.  Thanks Elson.

boles​, I'm going to say right up front that the workaround I'm suggesting is just that--not a solution, but a way to cope. I do something similar to what  @chofer ​ has suggested, but with some twists.

Near the end of every semester, when it comes time to copy my course over to the next semester's course shell, I do a selective copy of everything except the announcements. I then copy the announcements separately into a sandbox course. I like using a Canvas sandbox instead of an external document because when I keep the announcements in Canvas I can preserve the RCE formatting.

On the first day of classes, and after I'm reasonably certain that most of my students have at least clicked on the course, I copy the first announcement from my sandbox, amend it as necessary (it usually requires some editing of dates and links), and post it. (I like to copy and paste from the HTML view; it's just my quirk.) I also send them a link to that announcement through the Canvas Inbox and to their external email addresses, just in case they haven't set up notifications yet.

As I need an announcement, I harvest it from the sandbox and post it. Depending on how much attentiveness I've discerned from that particular batch of students, I might also send them the link to the announcement via a Canvas message, as my informal observation suggests that more students have message notifications set to "Right Away" than they do their announcements notifications. No science, just a guess.

So what I'm saying is that I don't pre-populate the new course with the old announcements, and I don't use the delayed post option.

Not ideal, but it gets the job done for now.

boles
Community Participant

Thanks Stephanie for your wholesome response and plentiful ideas. Much appreciate your time.

boles
Community Participant

Thanks Chris for your full reply and ideas. I'll see what I can figure out that will work for me.

kthompson2
Community Member

When I import an announcement from one course to another, it doesn't notify the students via email or their cell phones if they opted for that. One of the reasons I opted to use Canvas rather than Remind was to keep everything in one spot. I have imported the announcement, but it has a big U next to it. How can I get the announcement to notify the students? Gracias de antemano.

Jul_Cro
Community Participant

Hi @kthompson2 , 

You will have to follow @Stefanie 's advice and create a new announcement. She houses her announcements in a separate course and when she needs them she copies and pastes the announcement into the new announcement. Unfortunately, the notification triggers for announcements only happen when (a) the course is published, (b) the announcement creation date is between the start and end date of the course, and (c) the announcement is created in the current course. NOTE: I would love if someone could verify this statement as fact because I would love to be able to explain this to our faculty as intended behaviors. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos