cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lazaneje
Community Member

How do I set up an address book?

Jump to solution

How do I get the email addresses from the contact list or clipboard, to an address book, to an email?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @lazaneje ...

The Canvas Inbox doesn't really have an address book.  It does allow you to select the names of your students and/or other instructors who are also enrolled in the same course that you are in.  See How do I send a message to a user in a course in Conversations as an instructor? and How do I send a message to all course users in Conversations as an instructor? for more information on how to compose a message to one or more people in your course.  (Or if you are a student: How do I send a message to a user in a course in Conversations as a student? and How do I send a message to all course users in Conversations as a student?)

In addition to the above information, I found the following previous discussion questions that may relate to what you are asking:

Getting Student Email Address

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/118542 

I hope this information will be of help to you, Jean.  Please let members of the Community know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @lazaneje ...

The Canvas Inbox doesn't really have an address book.  It does allow you to select the names of your students and/or other instructors who are also enrolled in the same course that you are in.  See How do I send a message to a user in a course in Conversations as an instructor? and How do I send a message to all course users in Conversations as an instructor? for more information on how to compose a message to one or more people in your course.  (Or if you are a student: How do I send a message to a user in a course in Conversations as a student? and How do I send a message to all course users in Conversations as a student?)

In addition to the above information, I found the following previous discussion questions that may relate to what you are asking:

Getting Student Email Address

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/118542 

I hope this information will be of help to you, Jean.  Please let members of the Community know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

lazaneje
Community Member

Chris Hofer and Stefanie Sanders--I may have phrased my question incorrectly.  I am supposed to send a welcome email to all my students.  When I tried to send it through canvas, it said to select names from the address book.  I have no address book.  I do have a list of the students emails.  Do I type them in individually or is there a way to moved them from the list to the recipient's box?  If I do a select all, copy, and paste, I get names AND email addresses. 

Maybe I should use outlook instead?

Jean Lazane

Hi  @lazaneje  

Canvas does not have email, and the Canvas Inbox does not ask you to select names from the address book when sending an inbox message, because Canvas also does not have an address book.  @chofer ‌ and stefaniesanders‌ really were providing you with the correct information for using the Canvas Inbox messaging function.

You can send your students a welcome message using the Inbox in Canvas, but perhaps your school is asking/describing something different. Or, perhaps, they have customized their Canvas in some manner.

I would suggest asking someone at BYU for clarification on this requirement.

Kelley