cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nels6498
Community Member

How do I setup a folder for students to upload assignments?

I tried adding folders in the Files area, but students can't see those folders and I don't see a way to make them visible to the students.

Instead of the students emailing their assignments to me directly, it would beneficial to have them upload them into specific folders setup in Canvas that I can view, download and manage.  Something similar to Google Drive.

Thanks,

Jim

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@nels6498 , there isn’t a way for students to submit files to the Files in your class. In Canvas students would submit their files to an “Assignment.” By submitting to the assignment you can then view them right in Canvas, add feedback, grade, and download them if desired. 

Here are some guides that explain mire more about this:

How do I create an online assignment? 

How do I get to SpeedGrader from an assignment, quiz, or graded discussion? 

How do I enter and edit grades in SpeedGrader? 

How do I add annotated comments in student submissions using DocViewer in SpeedGrader? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13086-415255025 

Hope this helps!

Kona

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@nels6498 ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

I have the same question. I would like to find a way for students to submit more than one file. I know that many files can be uploaded at once, but that way they are not organized. I would like to view a folder with several files for one student at a time. I have a portfolio-type assignment that they completed over two semesters. Right now, it is not easy to see their reflections, artifacts, etc. without looking all over the place for them.