cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kclark6
Community Member

How do I share a "New Quizzes" quiz to the Commons?

Jump to solution

I created a quiz using the New Quizzes engine and now I get an error message stating, "There was an error generating the tool launch" when I try to share it to the Commons for a colleague to use it.  Anybody know of a solution or a work around?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
johnsone
Community Member

I had the same issue, so I reached out to Canvas. Turns out it is possible to share New Quizzes, you just need to initiate that share from the Assignments page rather than the Quizzes page.

View solution in original post

jonna_radegard
Community Participant

Hi, if it is not possible then this should be marked the correct answer. 

8 Replies
Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kclark6 , thanks for your question.

If Commons isn't playing nice (it might be busy), then you could try the Copy To or Send To options with your colleague.

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-18385-how-do-i-use-direct-share-to-copy-an-assignment-to-an... 

How do I use Direct Share to send an assignment to another instructor? 

Or the Course Import Tool (which can be simplified to just a quiz) How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool?  

Sing out if you need a hand. 

sedlockj
Community Member

Hello - this is occurring for my instructors as well with New Quizzes and Commons, and the "Copy To" or "Send To" options are generating blank quizzes on the receiving end. The copy will go through, and the New Quiz shell will be created in the other course, but no questions or instructions come through. The New Quiz is also not sharing to Commons.

Any word on if this functionality will be fixed or additional solutions other than the Course Import Tool? Thank you!

johnsone
Community Member

I had the same issue, so I reached out to Canvas. Turns out it is possible to share New Quizzes, you just need to initiate that share from the Assignments page rather than the Quizzes page.

danaleeling
Community Participant

Thanks @johnsone this might explain behavior my colleague is seeing at another campus where new quizzes I shared to them via sending a whole module that included new quizzes arrives with quizzes that the recipient faculty member cannot post.

"I have tried editing them but they would not let me post.  I have 2 versions of 1 quiz that are sitting in the class, but I can't delete them, nor can the students see them. At the moment they are just "sitting there."

I will try sending the new quizzes individually from the Assignments page...

jonna_radegard
Community Participant

Hi, if it is not possible then this should be marked the correct answer. 

danaleeling
Community Participant

@johnsone One can indeed initiate the share on a New Quizzes from the Assignments page, and the item will appear to share. But on import to a different server the shared New Quiz will not import. I am trying to move materials from a Canvas instance on the Singapore server to the Oregon server, and the process fails. Courses can shared and moved through Commons, but one has to set sharing to Public. New Quizzes are not included in the course share. Individually moving New Quizzes from Assignments looks promising, but the resulting item in Commons cannot be imported into a course on the new server instance. New quizzes are long way from being ready to be released and no instructor should be encouraged to use them at this time. I concur with those who have elsewhere suggested that the New Quizzes effort should be shut down and work should be done on improving Classic Quizzes.

danaleeling
Community Participant

I unmarked the solution because New Quizzes cannot be shared through the Commons. Copy to... only works within a given instructor's courses, and Send to... is restricted to an institution. Neither accomplishes sharing to another institution via the Commons. Because New Quizzes are an external tool, they are local to an institutional instance, perhaps to a server. Attempts by me to move New Quizzes from a course in an institution on the Singapore server to an institution on the Oregon server have failed. And I am admin in both institutions. New Quizzes cannot be moved. They will appear to move, but in the new institution attempts to open the New Quiz throws an error.

danaleeling
Community Participant

Someone has marked the solution as a solution again, but I checked this morning and this solution does not work if the colleagues are in institutions on two different Canvas servers on the planet Earth. For example, a New Quiz can be shared from the Assignments page in a Canvas instance on the Singapore server to the Commons and the New Quiz shows up as an instructional management system common cartridge (IMSCC) file on the Commons. The cartridge can then be imported to a Canvas instance on the Oregon server and Canvas will show that that cartridge has been successfully imported. But attempts to launch cartridge generate an error message.

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 7.36.45 AM.png

Perhaps if the two instances are on the same server this approach works.

I know this issue well, I got burned badly when my institution switched servers and I lost all of my New Quizzes in the transfer - a transfer that has to happen through the Commons. I do not recommend using New Quizzes in production as of summer 2021: they are simply not ready for production use. Courses shared to Commons with New Quizzes will not have usable New Quizzes for other users, not if they are on different Canvas servers.