cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarah-louisedaw
Community Member

How do I stop students outside my groups recieving announcements

Hi - I am a TA and I am using Canvas for the first time to have a weekly discussion thread for my sections. I have created separate groups for my three sections and specified which users have access to the groups. However, announcements posted to the group pages seem to be going to everyone in the class, and I can't see a way to control notifications. Does anyone know if there is a way to fine-tune the notification settings so that group notifications just go to the specific group? I really don't understand why this is happening.

2 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @sarah-louisedaw  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community, where users such as yourself exchange ideas and, indeed, ask question such as yours!  This does not sound like normal behavior to me.  First of all, however, be aware that students can control their own Notifications, so there is never anything that can 100%, positively, absolutely guarantee that students will get notified since they could always (foolishly, in my opinion) turn off their notifications for Announcements altogether.

But with that caveat aside, my first advice to you is to make sure you are indeed IN the student group itself.  It sounds like you indeed are, but it's still worth mentioning.  And I say this because I tried replicating your issue on a sample course site where I have a student (whose "email" I happen to have access to!) in a specific group.  I then went into the group the student was NOT in and made an announcement.  I then went into a group that the student IS in and made an entirely different announcement, just to make sure there would be no confusion.

I then logged into that student's email account, and I can attest that the student did NOT receive a notification of the announcement for the group that he was not in, and DID receive a notification of the announcement for the group that he was in.  

Bottom line:  it sounds like you may have a local issue there somewhere, and it may worthwhile reporting it to Canvas.  (Help>>Report a Problem).  I was rather relieved myself to see that the Announcement notification setting did exactly what you would think it should do...and not notify a student who was not in the group!    So that's why I mention that you should make sure you are, indeed, properly in the group before posting the Announcement.   But if this behavior continues, it's time to get support involved.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @sarah-louisedaw ...

I was browsing through some older discussion posts, and I saw that we have not heard from you since you first posted this question on September 25th and received a response from  @kblack  a day later.  Have you had a chance to review the feedback that you've received from Ken?  I also concur with his response...as I tried something similar in my own sandbox course...but the student groups were only able to see their own announcements and not announcements for other groups.  Were you able to reach out to the Canvas tech support folks...as Ken suggested?  If so, would you be willing to share the outcome of that conversation back here in this thread?  Also, if you feel that Ken's response has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark his reply as "Correct".  However, if you still have questions for members of the Canvas Community, please let us know that by posting a message below so that we can continue to help you.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't keep you or others from posting questions or comments below that are related to your above question.  I hope that's okay with you, Sarah-Louise.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!