cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joseph_jensen
Community Member

How do I upload a paper for a student who is having difficulty with Canvas?

Jump to solution

Some of my students are having difficulties getting Canvas to accept their papers. How can I upload a paper for a student?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @joseph_jensen  Welcome to the Canvas Community!  @kona ‌ and  @kmeeusen ‌ have given you great advice that will empower your students to upload their own assignments successfully. I want to circle back to this part of your question: "How can I upload a paper for a student?" The quick answer is: an instructor cannot. Your Canvas Admin has the capability to "become" or "act as" a student, and depending on a school's policies, the admin might be willing to perform this task on behalf of a student in special circumstances. This topic has been the subject of spirited conversation here in the Community, and I'd encourage you to read through the comments under https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1124-submit-an-assignment-on-behalf-of-a-student?sr=search&sea...‌. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@joseph_jensen ‌, welcome to the Canvas Community! Here is the student guide with directions on how to upload a paper into an Assignment - How do I upload a file as an assignment submission in Canvas? Something else that sometimes works is switching browsers or clearing the cache. In addition, I would double-check your assignment settings to make sure you've allowed students to submit their files online. To do this see the following guide - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10151-415241295 

Hope this helps!

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @joseph_jensen ‌

I don't know if your students are accessing assignment submissions using mobile or desktop/laptop, but if accessing using a computer rather than a mobile device, Microsoft Edge is a real hot mess for uploading assignments. We always recommend Chrome or Firefox as the preferred browser.

If your students are stuck with Edge, make sure they have installed the Anniversary Update, as this typically fixes the assignment upload problem.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @joseph_jensen  Welcome to the Canvas Community!  @kona ‌ and  @kmeeusen ‌ have given you great advice that will empower your students to upload their own assignments successfully. I want to circle back to this part of your question: "How can I upload a paper for a student?" The quick answer is: an instructor cannot. Your Canvas Admin has the capability to "become" or "act as" a student, and depending on a school's policies, the admin might be willing to perform this task on behalf of a student in special circumstances. This topic has been the subject of spirited conversation here in the Community, and I'd encourage you to read through the comments under https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1124-submit-an-assignment-on-behalf-of-a-student?sr=search&sea...‌. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

I need this function for Canvas to work in my environment. I collect written assignments (quizzes/exams etc) in class and I scan them and so I'm the one holding the documents. Its not an issue of students having trouble. It is important to be able mark them up after they have been uploaded.

James
Community Champion

@kcummins1 , this comment will have more impact if you place it where people are looking. This was a question, that has been marked as answered, and so it won't have as many people looking at it. It would garner more views and have more impact if it were left in a feature idea.

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1124-submit-an-assignment-on-behalf-of-a-student is a feature idea on Product Radar, which means that Canvas is aware of it and encouraging all related comments to be directed there so that it is easier to track and follow and get a better gauge of the situation.

stucker
Community Participant

Instructors NEED this option. What happens when you have students in a group and someone doesn't submit?? Now those students don't have anything to peer review. I should be able to place a 'hold' essay for them to work on.

IEML11
Community Member

I completely agree. I just changed from Blackboard over to Canvas due to work. Especially with large classes (not separated in groups for certain types of submissions), there are always a handful of students who manage to use the wrong link.