Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spetkovsek

How do non-core contents utilize Canvas? (Electives)

I teach at a middle school (7th & 8th grade). Currently I teach Photojournalism utilizing Texas state standard TEKS 10th-12th grade for course alignment. I also teach Yearbook.  This is my first post here in Canvas. Since our district will be moving into Canvas in the upcoming school year, I would like to run some pilot test run lessons with my students this spring. So, does anyone have any help/tips they can give me on how they have setup their Photojournalism or Yearbook courses on Canvas? Grading? Features you find to be a fantastic resource on Canvas or anything else you think a newbie needs to know.

Thanks so much.

Shelley Petkovsek

spetkovsek@huntsville-isd.org

Mance Park Middle School

Huntsville, Texas

5 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@spetkovsek ​, welcome to the Canvas Community! Because of the subject matter of your post, I've shared it with the K-12​ group. If you're not already a member of that group, joining is just a few clicks away. Also, your prompt is not designed to elicit a single "correct answer," so I've changed the format to a discussion.

Thank you. I have been trying to figure out how to do this on my own. It is a learning process. Hopefully someone will have some answers to help out. I appreciate you giving me some feedback. Now I'm off to try to join the K-12 group.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi! Welcome!!

I am a high school art teacher, and I have all of my courses in Canvas. I teach Photo I/II, Graphics I/II, Intro to Visual Art, and AP Studio. There is a lot about Canvas that has made my life easier. Once you get your courses established, you'll really see how much it helps you with communication and setting up collaborative opportunities for your students.  @emily_beckman ​ and I team-teach the media arts class (Yearbook, Photo II, and Graphic Design II), and we would definitely be willing to collaborate.

Have you seen Using Canvas for yearbook class​? That may be a good place to form connections as well.

Thank you so much! I'll go look at the link. I would love to collaborate. I'm sure the teacher at our high school will want to join in as well.

LisaCasto

Shelley,

This is Lisa Casto from Allen ISD. We are in our 3rd year of Canvas. I can certainly share LOTS of examples.  We could also do a conference call, if y'all would like.  Just let me know.  Lisa