cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
traciebosket
Community Champion

How do people find shells that were created for the public or institution?

How do people find shells that were created for the public or institution?

stefaniesanders

17 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi traciebosket

Public is kind of a misleading term in Canvas. The courses are only public to users who already have access to your institution's instance of Canvas, or have been provided an enrollment link. Most of us when we hear the word "public" expect to be able to do a Google search to find a public course. Here are some Guide links that may be helpful.

I hope this helps,

Agent K

@kmeeusen ‌

That is exactly what I was looking for Agent K Smiley Wink

Since a public shell is just for people in the institution, what is the difference between Public and Institutional?

abunag
Community Champion

Public - anyone with the URL can view the course.  Institutional - anyone logged in, and with URL, can view the course.  Private - anyone enrolled, logged in, and with the URL (or through dashboard) can view the course.  But enrollment is still the requirement for all three in order to participate (post discussions, submit assignments, etc).

a common suggested practice would be to have the course private, and have the syllabus public or institutional, so people can view the syllabus prior to being enrolled.

traciebosket
Community Champion

Oh, that is a great idea. So there is a way to keep a course Private but allow the Public to view just the Syllabus?

Do you have any ideas how that would prompt a student to view a class syllabus?

I'm thinking that there would have to be a link to the course on the Schedule of Classes. Then the students can view the syllabus before registering for the class. 

Does anyone have any other ideas for how this could be promoted?

abunag
Community Champion

The second link  @Chris_Hofer ‌ added has the screenshots.  Essentially you leave the "Visibility" to "Course", then customize the Syllabus to "Public" or "Institution".  Our school has a public repository of syllabi, and in theory, faculty could add a link to their syllabus there instead of uploading a word document, but I don't believe any faculty has actually done that.

traciebosket
Community Champion

Oh, that makes sense. Sorry  @Chris_Hofer ‌ I overlooked the Syllabus option.

traciebosket‌...

I'll probably be restating much of the above...but here are two Guides that give the "official" definitions that you are looking for: How do I customize visibility options for a course? and https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10004-4152284582  I hope this additional information is helpful to you.

Yes, actually it is very helpful. I am going to bookmark them. Thank you Smiley Happy

traciebosket
Community Champion

Does anyone mind to see if the can see the Syllabus on this one? https://vcccd.instructure.com/courses/6306 

I sent the course Course and made the Syllabus Public.

Do I need to "Include this course in the public course index"?

240605_pastedImage_2.png

abunag
Community Champion

So, that link won't work, because we don't have access to the whole course.  However, I can get to https://vcccd.instructure.com/courses/6306/syllabus  but it's currently blank.

The Index is a way for an outside user to find courses like this, and would likely need to be activated by your admin if you want to use it.  It's connected to visibility, but not necessary if you're willing to provide URLs.

traciebosket
Community Champion

Oops, I didn't publish it. How about now?

Hi traciebosket

I can access the syllabus just fine. I note there is no description in ther, just the course summary, but I am able to get there.

Agent K

Ahh, so it looks like I would need to add a short description in the Titles of the Assignments.

Or, I can just add text on the top, are you able see that?

Tracie:

What I did not see was the Syllabus Description, that should be in the space above the Course Summary section of the Syllabus content area. the Syllabus page actually has two main areas: 1) Course syllabus, and 2) Course Summary. Below are screen shots from one of my own courses..........

Course Syllabus (syllabus description)

240677_pastedImage_1.png

Course Summary (what I do see in your public syllabus)

240678_pastedImage_3.png

Does this make sense?

Agent K

Tracie:

I just checked again, and now note some dummy content in both halves of your public course syllabus.

Agent K

Oh perfect, thanks #AgentK

No problem, Tracie!

Had to see this through to the end to finish helping you out.

Agent K