cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klemons
Community Participant

How do practice quizzes work?

I have a question about Practice quizzes.  I know how to create them and I understand that the score doesn't show up in the gradebook, and the quiz doesn't show up under assignments (all things that I want) BUT, if students take a practice quiz that has a combination of MC type questions and essay questions Will Canvas still grade the MC questions and will the teacher still be able to go in and assign a grade to the essay questions?  Will the teacher then be able to see the quiz score for all of their students EVEN IF it's a practice quiz??

I'm sure I could test this out by assigning one to my students, but I was hoping someone had a video (I've looked but not found one) that shows what the grading/results look like for a PRACTICE quiz.

THANKS!!!!!

7 Replies
jlgathright
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hello  @kclark131 ‌, 

This guide https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12908-4152182372 should help you out! I found the blue box at the top extremely helpful when I was working with Practice Quizzes. 

I hope this helps you too!

klemons
Community Participant

Thank you Julie!   Yes it does.   

Have you given practice quizzes with an essay question?  Will there be a place to enter points for that essay question?

And do you know if Canvas will add the total points (mc questions and points entered for an essay question)?

jlgathright
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Unfortunately, I have not given an essay in a practice quiz, however just trying it out, I was able to enter points for the essay question and it did total the points. 

This screenshot might help....

342883_pastedImage_1.png

klemons
Community Participant

Did you have to go into "Moderate Quiz" to put in the score for the student.    That was the only way I found.   I was hoping there would be a "Speed Grader" type of interface to do them a little faster.....

jlgathright
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I clicked on the Practice Quiz, then the "triple dots" and selected "Show Student Quiz Results."

342926_pastedImage_1.png

From there, I clicked on the student name and it brought up their quiz. 

342927_pastedImage_2.png

Then it looks just like it does in SpeedGrader and I can "grade" the essay and change any other points. 

klemons
Community Participant

Thank you so much Julie!   I think my school needs to upgrade to "New Quizzes" in order to have access to speed grader in New Quizzes. 

I appreciate your help!!!

jlgathright
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Happy to help! Smiley Happy