Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ksoper

How do students move past excused assignments in ordered modules?

Jump to solution

I apologize if this has already been asked.  I couldn't find it in my searches.

We have a few students that are being excused from certain readings/assignments/quizzes that most other students must complete.  The issue we are having is that the modules are locked and students must complete items in order.  How do the students excused from certain items move past these to unlock the rest of the readings/assignments/quizzes?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@ksoper ​

I am making a recommendation based on an assumption.  From reading your post above I am assuming that you do not have modules locked for a period of time, but are relying on the "must move through content in order" to regulate the module.  If this is the case, you may want to have the student submit to the assignment - even if it is a blank page that says 'this assignment is excused for me'.  Then use the EX in the gradebook.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ksoper ​, probably the easiest thing to do is mark these assignments as excused - How do I excuse an assignment for a student in the Gradebook?

Hope this helps!

We've done that, but a teacher is saying that the students can't move on

through the module since they are locked and students must complete them in

that order. Are we missing something?

Thanks!

Kelley Soper, M.Ed.

Associate Dean/Teacher

2600 Foothill Blvd. #310

La Crescenta, CA. 91214

Direct: (323)627-7083 (texts accepted)

ksoper@olinacademy.org

Live Instructional Sessions:

Class link - http://tinyurl.com/olinksoper <http://tinyurl.com/olinksoper>

Need help with Google Drive? http://tinyurl.com/howtogoogledrive-tutorial <http://tinyurl.com/howtogoogledrive-tutorial>

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Is the Module itself closed/locked - as in there is a date set to when it will open, but right now the entire Module is closed to students? If so, then no, this won't work. I just did quite a bit of back and forth testing and there didn't seem to be a scenario where excusing an assignment and having locked modules (where the excused assignments resided) would work. If the Instructor unlocks the Module it will work or what the instructor could do instead of locking (or unlocking) the Module is unpublish it (basically hide it). As long as this was done (and the assignments were marked as excused) it will work.

Does any of this help?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@ksoper ​

I am making a recommendation based on an assumption.  From reading your post above I am assuming that you do not have modules locked for a period of time, but are relying on the "must move through content in order" to regulate the module.  If this is the case, you may want to have the student submit to the assignment - even if it is a blank page that says 'this assignment is excused for me'.  Then use the EX in the gradebook.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ksoper ​, did any of our suggestions help? Just checking in to see if you were able to resolve the issue and what the solution was!

Thanks!

We did have EX in the assignments, and they modules were not locked by date.  So we've been having the students just click through the excused pages to get to page they need.

tmckamey
Community Member

I wonder if this has been resolved. This was a long time ago and it seems ridiculous that users would have to use "work arounds". I have this scenario wherein I both have modules locked based on a time setting and students have to complete previous modules to access the next ones. However, there are times when I want to excuse the students work, and the student SHOULDN'T have to do some silly work around to make that happen (nor the teacher). 

Canvas should be built to recognize that an excused assignment should be ignored by all "locked" signals. 

I also hate it that I can't grade an assignment that's marked as needing a submission manually to get Canvas to "unlock". 

Neither of these scenarios is reflective of real life.