cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kgagnon
Community Member

How do teachers keep Canvas from overwriting previously pushed grades in PowerSchool?

Jump to solution

We will begin using Canvas this fall (2016) and I would like to verify my understanding of the connection between Canvas and our SIS (PowerSchool). It's my understanding that if a teacher uses Canvas to push a graded quiz, assignment, or discussion into PowerSchool, but then manually changes the grades in PowerSchool, Canvas will overwrite those existing grades in PowerSchool the next time the teacher posts grades for additional quizzes, assignments, or discussions from Canvas to PowerSchool. To prevent changes in PowerSchool from being overwritten during future postings of grades from Canvas, can the teacher deselect the Post Grades to SIS checkbox after the first time those grades are posted from Canvas, thus preventing the overwrite during the next posting of grades?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nlatimer
Community Champion

Yes,  @kgagnon ​, that is exactly what you do - deselect the "Post to SIS" button for the next sync, and the grades for those assignments will not get pushed over during the next sync. This will leave your changes in PowerSchool intact.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kgagnon ​...

I'll start by saying that I have no experience with PowerSchool, but I did a search here in the Community.  I am wondering if this document, FAQ: Canvas and PowerSchool, would be of help to you?  Please note there is a red banner at the top of that page where you can click to join the Grade Pass Back group in the Community as well.  I also found this document which may be of help: Instructor Help: Using PowerSchool in Canvas.  Hopefully these two things will help get you started.  Thanks Karen...

kgagnon
Community Member

Thank you! Yes, I have read both of those guides and they have been very helpful! I have also joined the Grade Pass Back group. I just can't seem to find any references to the effect of deselecting the Post Grades to SIS checkbox after grades have been posted to our SIS. I seems to me the effect will be the changed grades in our SIS will not be overwritten.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @kgagnon ! We haven't heard from you in awhile, so for now, I will mark this question as "Assumed Answered"; that will not prevent you or others from responding. Could you take a moment to let us know how/if you solved the potential Post Grades to SIS overwrite issue? Thanks!

nlatimer
Community Champion

Yes,  @kgagnon ​, that is exactly what you do - deselect the "Post to SIS" button for the next sync, and the grades for those assignments will not get pushed over during the next sync. This will leave your changes in PowerSchool intact.

View solution in original post

kgagnon
Community Member

Yes! We finally confirmed this is working. As long as teachers toggle off *Post

to SIS* everything is intact. Thank you for the confirmation!

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Nancy Latimer <instructure@jiveon.com>