How do we find a rubric when I have 100 BIO 101 courses?

Jump to solution
kmatson
Community Explorer

Can we edit the course name somehow so when looking for rubrics we don't see 50 courses titled the same BIO 101?

In this document - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12861-4152724129  we see they have many BIO 101 classes and only one of them has a year to help differentiate it. What is the work around so we don't see all the same names for the courses so we can actually find the rubric? I have faculty in Italian wanting to find their rubrics but they just see ITAL 104 repeatidly so they have to go class by class to find the rubric. Is there someway to differentiate these by term or can the nickname transfer like it does in creating email (conversations)?find a rubric

Thank you,

Karen Matson

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @kmatson ...

Each school handles course naming conventions differently, so this is something you'll ultimately need to talk with your local Canvas administrator about.  If a school has their SIS (Student Information System) integrated with Canvas, those course names and numbers may come over from the SIS into Canvas.  Or, they might be able to customize the course name somewhat when data is brought over from the SIS to Canvas.  For example, take a look at the illustrations in this Guide: How do I change a course name and course code? (specifically the one under the heading "Edit Course Name and Code").  For us, our course "Name" is similar to Basics of Tent Camping (12345) ... where that five digit number is a CRN (Course Reference Number).  The "Course Code" field only has that five-digit number in it.  There's another field, "SIS ID" (not shown in the Guide) that has a longer number brought over from our SIS which helps tell Canvas where to enroll our students/instructors.  (Side note, the full course number might look something like this: 123-456-12345.  There wouldn't normally be another course with that same exact course number.  Another section of that course might have a number of 123-456-12346.)  All this is to say that appending a course section number to the end of our course name helps to differentiate one course from another ... for instances such as finding rubrics, importing content, etc.

I hope this helps, Karen.

View solution in original post

0 Likes