cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mvillega
Community Member

How do we view a summary of Attendance with notations from badges?

I am using the Roll Call function. How do I view a summary of the attendance for individual students, complete with notations I made using badges? I want to click on each student's name, see how many times they are absent, and see what kind of notes (my customized badges) I made in regard to their class performance each day. In the end, I will assign them an Attendance/Participation grade based on all of this information. 

4 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @mvillega  Welcome (belatedly) to the worldwide Canvas Community. I see that you joined us late last year, but this appears to be your first post here. I will take an early stab at this--even though I personally do not use badges--and say that it may appear via the Roll Call Attendance Report.  Check, especially, the information given in the blue-colored box on the top of this page regarding badges:  How do I run Roll Call Attendance reports in a course?  Running the report itself will require a bit of Excel/spreadsheet knowledge, since the report is in the CSV format.  If it helps at all, I wrote a few online documents in the community regarding parsing out the information. The easiest one to use--on Google Sheets--unfortunately specifically recommends removing the badges field in order for the Google Sheet that I posted to work properly (Easy to Use Google Sheet for Interpreting Your Roll Call Attendance Report ).  Otherwise, give the longer document (which uses Excel examples, though assumes you know little about Excel) a try:  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-6802-using-the-roll-call-report-a-guide-for-people-who-do-n... . 

I hope this helps a bit, Mark.

thomas_tarbell
Community Member

We have so far had one faculty ask about this badge feature and retrieving a "badge" report.

( Note: we have not set any categories at the account/subaccount level to date ).

These are the badges she has set up.

291956_pastedImage_2.png

Any comments or suggestions for us?

Has anyone come up with some useful badge categories?

Thanks, Tom

ceason
Community Member

I spoke with someone at Canvas Support, and badges created by instructors are not available in a report.  Very disappointing.  Like you, badges in my class affect the students' grades.  Back to tracking attendance in Excel...

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @mvillega ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on April 30, 2018.  It looks like you've gotten some feedback from a few different Community members.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you've received from  @kblack , thomas.tarbell, and  @ceason ?  Did any of their responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance with your question from members of the Community?  If you feel that one of the above replies has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and click the "Mark Correct" button next to that person's reply.  But, if you are looking for more help from the Community, please come back to this thread to post an update below so that someone might be able to help you out.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you for over seven months.  However, that will not prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Mark.