How do you activate a URL in a pdf assignment?

Jump to solution
sr1080041
Community Novice

So my professor requires us to download the assignment as a .docx but submit it as a PDF. I work on it in word and part of each assignment is to link a URL to the page we found the answer from. After adding the URL, I press enter to make sure it is blue. When I submit the assignment, I open it as a PDF and click on the link to make sure it works and it always does but my professor says that when she gets my assignment it doesn't. Is this because I have a Mac and she uses Windows? Why do the links activate for me but not for her? Can I get a reply asap please, points are being taken off of my assignments.

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @sr1080041  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  I'm using a Windows 10 laptop and don't have a Mac, so I'm not sure if going from one operating system to another would be an issue or not.  I wouldn't think so...but then, I've been wrong before.  As you were describing your steps, you said that you inserted your link into the Word document, hit "Enter" to make sure it was blue (active link), and then you saved your document to upload it to the assignment in Canvas for your instructor to grade.  When you saved your document, did you save it as a Word document (with the *.docx extension)?  Or, did you choose to save as a *.pdf file?  I'm a bit confused as to when you say:

When I submit the assignment, I open it as a PDF and click on the link to make sure it works

I don't know that Canvas would automatically change a file from a *.docx file to a *.pdf file...so that's why I'm wondering how you are saving the file once you've added the link.  Maybe one of these websites will be of help:

I hope these resources will be of help to you, Shanyce.  Please let Community members know if you have any questions about this information...thanks!

View solution in original post