cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jodi_k
Community Participant

How do you change the role assigned to a user?

Jump to solution

Please forgive me if this is a very simple answer that I have missed in the guides. I have spent a bit of time searching and can't find it. A user has been assigned the wrong account role and I can't figure out how to change it.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@jodi_k ​,

The admin accounts are handled differently than the course enrollments, which is what the information provided you before was for. So, good catch on your part.

If you go to your Account > Settings > Admins or Account > Sub-Account > [choose one] > Settings > Admins, you will see a list of "admin" users. The word "admin" is kind of a misnomer, although by default, that's all that appears here. You may create additional account roles for users, but they're still accessed here.

A user may have more than one account role assigned: How do I add an administrative user to an account?  Their name will be listed twice, once for each role that they have. You can add a new role or delete them from this screen. What you could do is add the proper role and then delete the wrong one.

However, you are not deleting the user when you do this, you are deleting the role assigned to the user and that's a huge distinction.

Any course enrollments are completely separate and will not be affected by a deletion of the account role. Again, you're deleting the role, not the user, and account roles are handled differently than course roles.

I'm not sure about the support account and the permissions needed for that, but again, you're not deleting the user, you 're deleting the role and the permissions associated with that role. As far as I know, which is nothing, there isn't a permission inside Canvas for being the support account because I've got admin rights and I am not a support account.

If you want to be sure, you can go into your test or beta instance and play around, but I don't anticipate any major problems by deleting the role (not the user).

As far as course roles, which is not at play here, I have deleted enrollments and re-added them to a course and the submissions and other things are restored when the enrollment is recreated. I can't speak as to what will happen when a user has admin rights over a class they're enrolled in, but you keep on saying they were given the wrong role, so I suspect that's not an issue in your case.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@jodi_k ​, the cleanest way to accomplish this is to delete the user from the course or account and then re-add the user in the desired role. You'll find a more detailed discussion of that here: Changing a User's Role After They've Been Added to a Course.

jodi_k
Community Participant

The role is question is an account level role. Wouldn't deleting them from the account (or course for that matter) lose all of their progress and submissions? An added complication is that this user is the one we have set up as our support account that links into service cloud and I assume that deleting and re-adding would mess this up. Unfortunately another admin set the wrong role by mistake.

James
Community Champion

@jodi_k ​,

The admin accounts are handled differently than the course enrollments, which is what the information provided you before was for. So, good catch on your part.

If you go to your Account > Settings > Admins or Account > Sub-Account > [choose one] > Settings > Admins, you will see a list of "admin" users. The word "admin" is kind of a misnomer, although by default, that's all that appears here. You may create additional account roles for users, but they're still accessed here.

A user may have more than one account role assigned: How do I add an administrative user to an account?  Their name will be listed twice, once for each role that they have. You can add a new role or delete them from this screen. What you could do is add the proper role and then delete the wrong one.

However, you are not deleting the user when you do this, you are deleting the role assigned to the user and that's a huge distinction.

Any course enrollments are completely separate and will not be affected by a deletion of the account role. Again, you're deleting the role, not the user, and account roles are handled differently than course roles.

I'm not sure about the support account and the permissions needed for that, but again, you're not deleting the user, you 're deleting the role and the permissions associated with that role. As far as I know, which is nothing, there isn't a permission inside Canvas for being the support account because I've got admin rights and I am not a support account.

If you want to be sure, you can go into your test or beta instance and play around, but I don't anticipate any major problems by deleting the role (not the user).

As far as course roles, which is not at play here, I have deleted enrollments and re-added them to a course and the submissions and other things are restored when the enrollment is recreated. I can't speak as to what will happen when a user has admin rights over a class they're enrolled in, but you keep on saying they were given the wrong role, so I suspect that's not an issue in your case.

View solution in original post

@jodi_k , thanks for adding that clarification. Since the role in question is at the account level, I've marked  @James ​'s response as the "correct answer."

jodi_k
Community Participant

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense.

James
Community Champion

Glad I could help.

l_hand
Community Participant

I have tried this " go to your Account > Settings > Admins or Account > Sub-Account > [choose one] > Settings > Admins, you will see a list of "admin" users" 

I get to "Settings" then there is no "Admins or Account" option that comes up. It just lists my personal settings.

What do I do now? (There are people listed as "course coordinators" who are not course coordinators and I wish to delete the role).

Thanks

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@l_hand ​...

The menu navigation that  @James ​ is referring to is in the back-end admin pages of your Canvas instance.  Do you have access to this area?  If not, you'd need to speak to someone at your school who is and who works with Canvas on a daily basis.