How do you create a "button" in Canvas?

Jump to solution
cbruce1
Community Member

I am trying to link a picture to a URL.

2 Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @cbruce1  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Good question....and easy to solve!  After you embed the image in the rich content editor, simply click upon the image itself, and then click the Link to URL icon on the rich content editor toolbar.  Type the URL, SAVE, and the image will be clickable.

Two points, however.  First, please be sure to add an appropriate alt tag, which is covered here: How do I create an alt tag in rich content editor .  (If the image is already in the course already, you can double-check that it has an alt tag by clicking upon the image and clicking the Embed Image icon on the rich content editor toolbar, even if you're not inserting something.  That will allow you to add in the alt tag.)

Secondly, that clickable image will not, by default, open up a web site in a separate tab, which is unlike a typical external link in Canvas--assuming you are creating an external link and not a link to someplace else in your course site.  If you wanted it to open up in a separate tab, edit it yet again by clicking on the image and pressing Ctrl-K on your keyboard, and in the ensuing dialog box set the Target to New Window.  

I hope this helps, Clyde!

View solution in original post