cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mzucal
Community Contributor

How do you create an access token for SIS API integration that doesn't expire?

Jump to solution

How do you create an access token for SIS API integration that doesn't expire?

We are in the process of finishing up our integration with our SIS and want to know if  tokens get overwritten when production gets upgraded. Is so, how do you create a token that doesn't expire or get overwritten?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattHanes
Community Champion

You can just leave the expiration blank if you don't want it to expire. It will stick through production releases as well. We've been using the same token for SIS imports since we started about 4 months ago.

expiration.jpg

View solution in original post

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mzucal ​...

Right off the bat, I'm gonna say I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but this is the first thing that came to my mind...  Have you seen this Canvas Guide?  How do I obtain an API access token for my account?  I am not sure if you can use this for SIS stuff (as I don't work directly with integrating SIS data with our Canvas instance).  Hopefully someone else can chime in and correct me if I'm completely wrong.

mzucal
Community Contributor

Thanks for the reply- this is what we are already doing. what we are unclear about is does that token get over written when the production server is updated with the latest release?   It shouldn't but....

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm going to have to defer to someone else on that question...  @scottdennis ​,  @Renee_Carney ​?

MattHanes
Community Champion

You can just leave the expiration blank if you don't want it to expire. It will stick through production releases as well. We've been using the same token for SIS imports since we started about 4 months ago.

expiration.jpg

View solution in original post

MattHanes
Community Champion

As an addendum: to prevent user tokens from crashing things (like an SIS import) if that person leaves our District, we created a generic admin account that we all have access to and use that one to generate tokens that need to exist in perpetuity.