Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emily_moore
Community Participant

How do you handle course retakes?

Jump to solution

Hello!

My institution offers several asychronous courses and we recently changed our retake policy to require students who failed their first attempt at a course to retake the entire course. The issue we are having is how do we offer a whole course retake, and still preserve the students previous grades, without having to create a whole other course instance.

A whole new course instance would be the simplest solution up front, but the headache comes when we need to make a course update, since we will need to remember to do it in two places.

How do you account for students who need to repeat a course due to a failed grade? Are the courses your students repeating synchronous or asynchronous?

Thank you!!

Emily

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dwahl_sales
Instructure
Instructure

While it's not an alternative to creating a separate course, you mention that remembering to update two courses would be a headache.  I bet that using Canvas Commons to import the course would alleviate that headache since you can import the updates easily. How do I import and view a Commons resource in Canvas?

View solution in original post

7 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello emily.moore​...

Since your question may not have one "correct" answer, I have converted your question to a discussion.  People will still be able to reply...the difference is that there won't be an option to mark one answer as "correct"...since this may be handled differently from school to school.  Hope this helps!

dwahl_sales
Instructure
Instructure

While it's not an alternative to creating a separate course, you mention that remembering to update two courses would be a headache.  I bet that using Canvas Commons to import the course would alleviate that headache since you can import the updates easily. How do I import and view a Commons resource in Canvas?

View solution in original post

canvas_admin
Community Champion

emily.moore​, when this happens for our asynchronous courses (which is admittedly infrequent), we go in and do the following:

• We take a snapshot of the student's grade report for our records
  • We then "reset" the student's work in the course itself by:
    • deleting any posts in forums
    • giving the student another attempt on any exams and locking the ability to see correct answers beyond one time (this allows current student to still see the correct answers but ends up blocking it for the student re-taking the exam so that he or she can't see the exam questions from his/her previous attempt)
    • making sure the student submits/re-submits for any other type of assignments (research papers, reading report, etc.)

We don't mind doing this bit of extra work because it doesn't happen often enough for us to come up with a more efficient strategy. Having a duplicate course would not be efficient for us because our courses assume multiple students for interaction and would create another course for the professor to deal with.

How do I lock the ability to see the correct answers beyond one time? Is that in the set up when I can check the box "only once after each attempt"?

200230_pastedImage_0.png

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@fosterka ​, yes, if you check that box students will only see the correct answers once after the first attempt.

Sorry I missed your follow-up question,  @fosterka ​. I'm in the community less frequently these days but I see Kona was able to answer your question. Smiley Happy

garth
Community Champion

@fosterka ​ I'm an IT guy, so not an expert, but I have seen student retakes.

Our course rosters are managed by the SIS, so course rosters are auto-populated.

Likewise we have an LTI tool to transfer grades from Canvas to the SIS.

So, if a student has failed a course and is allowed to retake the course, they are manually enrolled in the next instnace of the course.  In other words, when the course is offered again, they are enrolled manually in Canvas instead of through the SIS.  No need to reset assignments or submissions or hide quiz scores.

The student then works through the course a second time, including any changes or updates to the course content.  When this next iteration of the course is complete, the instructor reports the new student grade back to the Registrar, who adjusts the original course grade in the SIS as necessary.  If this were a frequent occurrance, I could see this being a burden, but it is infrequent in our environment.

The trick for us is the manual registration of the student in the next iteration of the course.  By doing this, when the course grades are transferred back to the SIS through the LTI, there is no matching registration in the SIS for the student and no second grade is logged.

I hope that makes sense, and I'm understanding this scenario properly.