cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josh_burnwatt
Community Member

How do you manage multiple graders for an assignment?

First year program here hoping to find some best practice help on an issue we are having with grading. We have multiple teachers in our courses. In these courses, our curriculum committee had decided that grading responsibilities should be assigned to the individual(s) who created the question/assignment. This gets particularly tricky with our exams, which will have anywhere between 4-6 "authors" for the entire exam. We've been getting around this by creating a rubric and having each teacher submit the scores of their assigned question in the rubric. The "module leader" then goes into the SpeedGrader and actually submits the grade based on the results of the rubric.

This has worked decently in our first semester, but I understand that this was never the original intent of using rubrics. Coupled with the issues already outlined here (Multiple graders cannot use rubric in Speedgrader) and here (Multiple Graders in Speedgrader - Visual Cues/Warnings), I need to find a better way to manage our grading process.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is quickly becoming a critical issue with our faculty. It's something we definitely would have accounted for in our LMS selection process, but as a first year program we didn't know that this would even be an issue.

3 Replies
orwinr
Community Champion

Hi  @josh_burnwatt ,

Have you looked at moderated grading to see if this would work in your situation? You can read a bit more about it at: How do I add a moderated assignment to be graded by multiple reviewers? 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @josh_burnwatt ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on March 27, 2018.  It looks like orwinr was able to post a suggestion for you on August 1, 2018.  Have you had a chance to review Randy's feedback?  If so, did his response help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance from members of the Community?  If you feel that Randy has helped to answer your question, please feel free to click the "Mark Correct" button at the top right corner of his response.  However, if you are still looking for some help from the Community, please let us know by posting a message below.  For now, i am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for a couple months.  However, this won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Josh.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

e_j_m_vanwinger
Community Participant

I don't that moderated graders could only complete part of the rubric each - as the moderated rubrics are stored as separate grading instances. In fact, there is no easy way to take the "average grade" between two moderated grading rubrics for example. What is more - the moderated graders can see only the comments, not the actual grades entered by the other grader so they can only communicate about their grading via the moderator. This is not a solution for multiple graders with equal priviliges.