Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
petersonml

How do you merge two classes together?

Jump to solution

I have two sections of the same class, I would like to merge them together.  How do I do that?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
brueckert
Community Champion

Hi  @petersonml 

This is done through cross listing. You can find a good explanation of the process here:

How do I cross-list a section in a course?

Be careful, cross listing will wipe all assignment submissions and grades. Only cross list courses that are inactive or courses that have just begun that have no assignment submissions.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
brueckert
Community Champion

Hi  @petersonml 

This is done through cross listing. You can find a good explanation of the process here:

How do I cross-list a section in a course?

Be careful, cross listing will wipe all assignment submissions and grades. Only cross list courses that are inactive or courses that have just begun that have no assignment submissions.

Awesome! Can you cross-list more than two courses at once? We would like to do 4 or more.

Yes! You can cross list as many as needed. Simply choose the same course to "host" the other sections. I typically tell faculty to rename that host course to something more generic that encompasses all of the sections that are now combined into one.

gouldt
Community Contributor

We do a lot of cross listing at our College, but there are specific circumstances. We cross list our ITV courses that are at different sites, but the same time and course. We also cross list a couple of courses that have rolling start dates (students are enrolled monthly), and we cross list courses that are the same course but come from two different areas like Business and Health. We don't allow cross listing for courses that aren't at the same time physically, or are different sections for several reasons. First, it's my understanding that students would be able to see each other, this might possibly violate Ferpa in some cases. Second, we plan to eventually post grades using LTI and if the course is cross listed that is going to be a problem for our other grading software. It could also cause problems down the road with tracking of which course the students were actually in. I would suggest caution when using this function, it affects more than the obvious areas.