Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parkssm2

How do you save a video recording that won't save to canvas?

Jump to solution

how do you save a video to canvas

Tags (3)
8 Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@parkssm2 , Is this a video you created in Canvas or one you created outside of Canvas and are trying to upload to Canvas? 

Kona

View solution in original post

jwitulski
Community Member

Howdy, I'm not sure if Savannah is experiencing the same problem as I am.  Some students are unable to save videos to Canvas.  They have video assignments, open those and do via 'Record Video', but for some reason, they cannot save them. They can change file names, pretty much it.  These students experience problems at home as well as at school. Could be a wifi issue but why is it such a huge barrier to completing work when it refuses to simply save and turn in? 

The alternative to this issue is to have them record on their phones, save to Drive and then upload to the Canvas assignment. Not what I want as I have a rubric for the video work. 

ddougla7

I use a Chromebook. After making sure that Canvas had access to my webcam and internal mic, I recorded a video in Canvas. However, the Save button did nothing. My workaround was to right click in the frame of the recorded video and save the video file to my drive. Then I uploaded it to (within) Canvas and submitted the assignment. Seemed to work well. Cheers!

tankovpa
Community Contributor

I have had teachers report that students in their class are encountering the same issue in which they are using the media recorder within Canvas to make a video recording, however when they click save, nothing happens. It is frustrating to both the students and the teachers that they are losing work due to the tool not working. 

I am going to share with the teachers some of the potential work arounds, but has anyone identified ways to avoid the issue from occurring?  

Curious since you seem to have had success downloading the file first. What was the file extension of the video when you saved it? On my mac, it is downloading without an extension and so won't open or play. If you ever see this message, perhaps you might report back with the file extension you're seeing. Cheers!

0 Kudos
rislis
Community Champion

We switched to Media Upload to make this easier for students with low bandwidth. Recent directions from a Spanish Test:

You will record your answer using your Chromebook Camera and uploading here.  Click on the little circle in the bottom left of your Chromebook to open your Camera. Switch to Video and record.  You must record a VIDEO which includes your voice and your face. REMEMBER: you will only have one opportunity to record this part of the test. 

Record Instructions.png

Your video will automatically save to your Chromebook Files. To upload it you'll click this circled icon.  It will look like you can record here, but instead, you will upload here.

marina.png

Instead of recording here, you'll click Upload, find your file in your Chromebook and upload. (Video directions (Links to an external site.), if needed.)

0 Kudos

the extension that I get is .webm

0 Kudos
MelissaNM

Did this issue ever get resolved, besides having to save and upload the comment? I am finding this thread in Nov 2020 and having the exact same problems - clicking "Save" multiple times, re-recording, waiting - none of it works!

0 Kudos
30 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@parkssm2 , Is this a video you created in Canvas or one you created outside of Canvas and are trying to upload to Canvas? 

Kona

jwitulski
Community Member

Howdy, I'm not sure if Savannah is experiencing the same problem as I am.  Some students are unable to save videos to Canvas.  They have video assignments, open those and do via 'Record Video', but for some reason, they cannot save them. They can change file names, pretty much it.  These students experience problems at home as well as at school. Could be a wifi issue but why is it such a huge barrier to completing work when it refuses to simply save and turn in? 

The alternative to this issue is to have them record on their phones, save to Drive and then upload to the Canvas assignment. Not what I want as I have a rubric for the video work. 

ddougla7

I use a Chromebook. After making sure that Canvas had access to my webcam and internal mic, I recorded a video in Canvas. However, the Save button did nothing. My workaround was to right click in the frame of the recorded video and save the video file to my drive. Then I uploaded it to (within) Canvas and submitted the assignment. Seemed to work well. Cheers!

Curious since you seem to have had success downloading the file first. What was the file extension of the video when you saved it? On my mac, it is downloading without an extension and so won't open or play. If you ever see this message, perhaps you might report back with the file extension you're seeing. Cheers!

0 Kudos

the extension that I get is .webm

0 Kudos

I also get .webm, and it does not upload. 

0 Kudos
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening,  @parkssm2 ...

I am reviewing some of the older questions here in the Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on February 4, 2019.  I see that  @kona ‌,  @jwitulski , and  @ddougla7  all replied to you at various times this past year.  Have you had an opportunity to review their feedback?  If so, did any of their replies help to answer your question?  If so, please feel free to click the "Mark Correct" button next to that person's response.  However, if you are still looking for some help with your original question, please come back to this posting to add a note below letting us know how we might be able to help you out.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" mainly because we've not heard back from you in almost eight months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Savannah.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

0 Kudos
tankovpa
Community Contributor

I have had teachers report that students in their class are encountering the same issue in which they are using the media recorder within Canvas to make a video recording, however when they click save, nothing happens. It is frustrating to both the students and the teachers that they are losing work due to the tool not working. 

I am going to share with the teachers some of the potential work arounds, but has anyone identified ways to avoid the issue from occurring?  

rislis
Community Champion

Paul, 

We are noticing the same thing in our district. It seems like it was an issue last winter than is back around now. We did not have any issues with this earlier this fall.

0 Kudos
sfrizelle
Community Contributor

I will add myself to this category. This is being reported by my teachers - and we have done everything we can think of. I have tried the right clicking and saving - but the file was not saved. 

I also did the just be patient and wait. That has worked (video was 3 minutes of a blank wall, minimum audio). It took 5 minutes for it to get posted. 

Might this be related to the media server issues/upgrades? I'd ask Canvas support, but I have yet to get through. 

Would love to know if anyone has a solution, or has an answer from Canvas support. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos

I agree with Sara. After wasting time re-recording a couple of videos, I tried waiting longer the next time. The save button appeared to do nothing, so I walked away. After ~5 minutes, the video was saved exactly where I wanted it to be in the course. It's unfortunate that it hasn't been fixed though, because faculty don't know about the issue and automatically assume that it's not working when nothing "appears" to be working. It would be nice to see a message or icon to indicate that the save is in progress.

tankovpa
Community Contributor

One trick we have found is that if you alt-click on the video while it is processing you can sometimes make use of the "Save As..." option and make a local copy of the file. DOesn't completely solve the problem, but can sometimes save the frustration of losing work.

0 Kudos
jimmypage

I'm continuing to have this issue.  I can click the save button, but nothing happens and my recorded video does not embed.

0 Kudos
chastinec
Community Contributor

We've had a few reports of this. However in our testing, we found that after clicking the save button, the save/upload process cant take as much time as the length of the video, or more, before it completes. I tested with a ten minute video (of mostly blank wall and not a lot of audio) and it took about 8 minutes from the time I clicked save to finish processing, with no indication that it was "Saving...". I'd imagine that could also be affected by the students camera quality and internet speed, where it could be an even longer process. With no notice/indication that it was processing, I could see students just giving up and thinking it did not work; that would  be very frustrating.

We let one of our students know about this, but she never responded on if she got it to work or just tried one of our other methods to get her submission in.

guyr1
Community Member

I've also having several students reporting this issue this semester.  Seems to be getting worse. 

0 Kudos
philiphernandez

I am also having this issue! Help!

0 Kudos
christinemoore
Community Participant

I am also having this problem. I recorded a video in the rich content editor as a discussion prompt. The video itself was just over a minute long, changed the name, clicked Save. Nothing.

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
jpierce2
Community Participant

We are getting widespread reports of this same issue.   Support hasn't been able to help us out yet - they keep asking for screen shots, but with the Save button not doing anything, there is nothing to screen shot.   We thought that we had identified videos under 30 seconds working, but it is hit or miss.   I've recorded a 1:30 video, clicked save and waited well over 2 min and nothing has happened.   

Some teachers have been able to save their videos, even over 2 min in length.   However most of them have to record multiple times to get it to save.   Obviously that is not a good experience for the teachers.

Has anyone found any solutions to this one yet?   

0 Kudos
jpierce2
Community Participant

Quick update – I’m wondering if maybe there has been some improvements on the back end today.

I just recorded a 3 min video and hit save.   It took about 6 min and it did save and embed in my syllabus page.  

bflis

April 18th, 2020, problem persists. At least I'm having same issue... Save button seems inoperative. I'm on a Mac (10.14.6) using Firefox (74.0.1). Video is recorded, but hitting SAVE does nothing. I tried to download the video to my desktop, but the downloaded file has no extension and so is unrecognizable / won't open.

0 Kudos
jwitulski
Community Member

I do have the same problem as a teacher and as a parent.  I do recognize that potential use of WIFI is draining; however, we have attempted saving in the middle of the night or early morning to no success.  My son had to email the video (via Drive) to his teacher. I have an alternative location for my students to do their videos - Flipgrid.  That's what solutions I can do at this time (even before e-learning/remote). 

0 Kudos

Yup, same problem. Help us Canvas.

0 Kudos
rislis
Community Champion

We switched to Media Upload to make this easier for students with low bandwidth. Recent directions from a Spanish Test:

You will record your answer using your Chromebook Camera and uploading here.  Click on the little circle in the bottom left of your Chromebook to open your Camera. Switch to Video and record.  You must record a VIDEO which includes your voice and your face. REMEMBER: you will only have one opportunity to record this part of the test. 

Record Instructions.png

Your video will automatically save to your Chromebook Files. To upload it you'll click this circled icon.  It will look like you can record here, but instead, you will upload here.

marina.png

Instead of recording here, you'll click Upload, find your file in your Chromebook and upload. (Video directions (Links to an external site.), if needed.)

0 Kudos
rislis
Community Champion

Had several requests for the Video Directions posted above. Didn't realize that wasn't a public link. Sorry. 

Video Directions

0 Kudos
BeansNCheese

I am a student, and I recorded something and pressed save, but it does nothing! Please help. And when I read this, it didn't help. Help!

0 Kudos
KYE0077

Something that would work for me was to right-click the save button, press reload, and it would start uploading on the bottom left. when it's finished, I press cancel and it would be ready to submit.

0 Kudos
MelissaNM

Did this issue ever get resolved, besides having to save and upload the comment? I am finding this thread in Nov 2020 and having the exact same problems - clicking "Save" multiple times, re-recording, waiting - none of it works!

0 Kudos

Seriously this issue persists.  Student records media file and it will not save.  What is Canvas doing to resolve this??

0 Kudos
susanlmichael

CANVAS - THIS ISSUE IS NOT RESOLVED!

fishyoda

This is SO frustrating. Why does it happen to some students and teachers but not everyone? It doesn't seem to matter about the wifi strength or length of the video file. I have triplets in the same house where two can submit their videos but the third cannot.

0 Kudos