cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teresa_cunniff
Community Member

How does a student upload an image from their computer to a Canvas discussion?

Jump to solution

How does a student upload an image from their computer so that they can embed it in a Canvas discussion?

18 Replies
sheldonj1
Community Contributor

Thanks for the thread.

I have been long considering this because I think that a discussion, which is verifiable, can forthrightly substitute for "essay questions" etc. and also a written hand in.

However the problem is not ME posting a discussion or ME posting a picture....it really IS about how the student can post a picture...

VERY NICE THREAD!!!  Smiley Happy  Smiley Happy

To that end, I posted this in my hybrid class today:

Hi

This discussion has two parts so that I can consider whether or not to "have discussions".

A) I really would like to hear what YOUR results are about the oxidation activity with the iron wire.

B) So, post what you saw in text form if you wish, you do not have to so do.  It would be nice though.

C) IF YOU HAVE A PICTURE, I ASSUME..that you have it on your smartphone so then we meet this situation.

i) if it is on your smartphone OR a tablet and you are interacting with this and you are able to upload the picture in your reply I would VERY MUCH like for you to POSSIBLY AS BEST AS YOU CAN describe the steps that you went through to get the image into the discussion.

I am fully aware that you may have a HUGE image and one of the things about this is "how Canvas handles a LARGE smartphone image".

ii) if you are on a desktop computer I assume that you will somehow get it onto your computer and then would you please outline, as best as you can, how you got that image into the discussion.

This is all volunteer just for me to get it in my very small and feeble mind the trouble that you may have to go through IF we did discussions.

Thanks ahead of time! Smiley Happy

jts

So ..i shall wait with 'bated breath! Smiley Happy

and, again, if anyone has a question please ask! Smiley Happy

james

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

Well I was greatly disappointed that no students had made the attempt.

But between lecture and lab several students made the attempt but could not actually

ACCESS their pictures on their phone.  Could not get AT the pictures.

But, they could get access to their Flickr(tm) account.

hmmm ok.....

one of them said....probably a security thing. 

That got me to thinking....

I can actually get at my pictures from my phone but then I am "an administrator".  A teacher.

Flickr(tm) already does screening for trojans, viruses, etc.  Now, it does not screen for vulgar images but...

It may be that the college, or Canvas has, without saying it, decided to offload the security concerns to Flickr(tm).

Not a bad idea really.

Howwever.....another student, who is enrolled at another college and for some reason taking my class which is 30 miles away said...

They have the same thing going on there in an English class.  There are discussions in the discussion thread but.....they then have to e-mail, through the Microsoft(tm) cloud.  The students do NOT like to have go around their elbow to get at their chin but they have no choice in the matter and the teacher has not discussed it.  Again, it may be they have offloaded the security thiing to the cloud.

So the "solution" then is that the students will have to get used to uploading pictures to Flickr(tm) that means that they have to get an account, and then they can easily attach in the Canvas discussion part.

Dunno.... Stephen Levy may have thought that hackers were good people but they certainly have created a whole host of unintended consequences decades later.

So, it would seem that this thread can be closed unless there are others with differing information.

And, thanks for the kindly information! Smiley Happy

james

sworrell
Community Participant

Nice set of directions. I made a short video that my students say is pretty easy to follow- https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cDhtbJi1RX

sworrell
Community Participant

I teach photography and art so we are constantly sharing images. Inserting a picture from the smartphone into a discussion through the Canvas app is much easier to do, just an option.

We go this app route a lot in my classes. When the students are on their laptops, this brief video tutorial I made is included in all discussion activity directions. They get the hang of it pretty quickly but I do wish for an easier way... hopefully coming soon in a future releaseSmiley Happy

sworrell
Community Participant

Agreed. I tell my students that they must think of the viewer of their posts and make their post easy and enjoyable to read. Downloading and opening image attachments can be annoying and often their peers don't bother. The readability of posts are much improved with embedded imagery.

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

Then I think that it might be that my college has made a decision to not allow students to access  "phone pictures"...possibly because a student may inadvertently or apurpose upload some kind of malicious file....knowingly or not. sooo ...ok.  it is, to me, not a bad idea....better to err on the side of safety.

BUT this has been a very nice discussion and I have valuable information about how I can interact with my students "going forward'.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

teresa.cunniff,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Ruijie1
Community Member

$A5Q8IVAZ3Q0]EF7AC2)A5I.png

Ruijie1
Community Member

$A5Q8IVAZ3Q0]EF7AC2)A5I.png