cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tylera

How does one embed an html page into a Canvas page?

Jump to solution

I have an HTML file that contains a form that submits a response to a server.  If I upload that file to the Files section of Canvas, then I can link to it from a Canvas Page.    A link will show up, and I can click on that link in the Page and the html file will be properly displayed in a new tab (with a download link that I would rather not have).   I would like that link to show up embedded in the Canvas page instead of opening in a new tab, but there is no in-line preview option for an html file.    Is there a way to fix this problem?

I'm basically creating a dynamic page that students will login to.  I want them to submit a response (via the html file) and then they will see a dynamically updating image on the Page as well. 

Is this possible?

I know how I can achieve similar functionality in a work around method, but it doesn't have the same visual appeal as the in-line html file preview would have. 

1 Solution

Ah, looks like  @tdw ​ is here to the rescue. I did end up finding the previous question where I (and others) described how to do this onto a page. You can find it here: Embed Code Not Working

View solution in original post

5 Replies
tdw
Instructure
Instructure

Hi,  @tylera ​

It is possible to embed uploaded HTML files in your Canvas course, fairly easily.  It requires a bit of URL hacking though, so I can't guarantee it will work forever, but here goes:

Upload your HTML file

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 2.12.33 PM.png

Right Click to get the download link to the file

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 2.13.00 PM.png

Add a URL to a module

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 2.13.31 PM.png

Change download `download_frd` to `inline`

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 2.16.17 PM.png

profit!

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 2.16.28 PM.png

Thanks Danny. This can make for many more options to be included in Canvas.

awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

This is possible with iframes. I'm looking for another response I gave to a similar question right now. I will give the disclaimer that this is probably not accessible at all to anyone using screenreader assistive technology.

Ah, looks like  @tdw ​ is here to the rescue. I did end up finding the previous question where I (and others) described how to do this onto a page. You can find it here: Embed Code Not Working

Thank you Adam!  This is exactly what I was looking for.   I'm going to be able to use this feature(hack) to make some dynamic pages.