Degraded AWS performance is currently impacting some Canvas users in the North American region. Check Canvas Status for updates.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Champion

How exactly do Blueprint courses work?

In the courses I've been building this year, I've made buttons and linked pages, quizzes and discussions to these buttons.  This was done to try and keep all of the pages out of the modules and scaring the students (one lesson has over 18 pages!!!).  

My question is, when we push this out as a Blueprint course next year, will the buttons and links still work?

Also, since these course were built to try and help struggling students before they fail the class.  The courses are written based on priority standards, and are to be assigned after a student fails a formative on that standard.  How will teachers be able to assign these courses to the students when the courses are in the Blueprint?  (We hope to load these Blueprint courses into the course card of every teacher who teaches these particular subjects.)

9 Replies
valentinesking
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Jennifer,

Interesting question. Basically when a blueprint course is pushed out, it is similar to a course copy. All the links work etc. as long as those pages/content/files are included along with the blueprint.

Hope this helps.

Sky V. King

That helps with the first question.  Any idea on the second question?  Next year will be our first year using Blueprint courses.

Also, with Blueprint Courses, if a teacher changes a page in his/her course, does that change the original page?

Jennifer,

If an instructor changes content within a blueprint course (which is like a template), any synced courses (with enrolled students) that the blueprint feeds into don't get updated until the blueprint is "pushed out" as an update.

Did I miss a question?

Sky V.

This question:

Also, since these course were built to try and help struggling students before they fail the class.  The courses are written based on priority standards, and are to be assigned after a student fails a formative on that standard.  How will teachers be able to assign these courses to the students when the courses are in the Blueprint?  (We hope to load these Blueprint courses into the course card of every teacher who teaches these particular subjects.)

Would it just be a series of modules and pages in the teachers' courses?

I really appreciate your help!!!!

Jennifer,

That last question makes answering a little more difficult.

From what you wrote, it sounds like if I was the teacher (let's say Math II) and a student of mine wasn't doing so hot, that I would "assign" them to complete the ("help") content from the Blueprint (BP) course?
If that is the case, then I would assume one who sync that blueprint course to the Math II course I was teaching so the material would be available (within the Math II course, like you mention a series of modules/pages in the teacher's course).

This would mean that everyone in the class would be able to see the "help" modules and activities if they were published. You mentioned quizzes, so the teacher could do a differentiated assignment to those individual students who those modules/quizzes were mandatory.

There is a way through Mastery Paths to automatically assign content to a particular subset of students so it doesn't have to be done manually student by student (ie those who score below a specific threshold on a quiz). For example, if I score below a 65 on a midterm, the "help" modules with quizzes are assigned to me. The reason why I say answering this question is more difficult is because I've not used Mastery Paths yet so am somewhat unfamiliar with it, especially in relation to BP courses. However, I think if you wanted the whole mastery paths to work the initial quiz (or threshold) to pass/not pass (for example, the Midterm) would have to be in the BP course too. Otherwise, I think if the Midterm wasn't in the BP, you'd have to set up Mastery Paths at the individual course level after you synced/pushed out the BP content.

Sky V.

Sky, I do know Mastery Paths, but most of our teachers don't.  Thanks for your help!

IF a teacher makes a group and assigns the Rescue Module to the group, is it visible to all?

Thanks for putting up with all of my questions!

ckelson
Instructure
Instructure

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @9927744 ...

I'm glad to see that  @valentinesking  and  @ckelson  have been providing you with a bunch of resources and help with Blueprint courses.  You may have seen the write-up from  @kblack ‌ called Tips for Designing and Maintaining Blueprint Courses where he goes into much detail about how Blueprint courses work.  But if not, you might want to check it out.  Lots of great information there.  Also, there are these blog entries from  @lindalee ‌:

I hope this extra bit of information will be of help to you, Jennifer.

lindalee
Community Champion

Hi Jennifer Carpenter,

To reiterate what Sky said, I would expect that all the buttons and links would continue to work. We haven't experienced any problems with links not working with Blueprint courses. This is one of the delights of this tool!

In terms of your second question -- I think that this would depend on how enrollment in Canvas sites works at your institution. If all of the Blueprinted content exists in -- but is not assigned within -- the Canvas sites, then I would think it would just be a matter assigning those specific materials to the students. If the developmental/supporting materials are in one or more separate Canvas sites (which all the instructors have access to, or a separate site for each instructor where they would enroll/assign their students), then it may be that faculty would "invite" students to participate in the course using the +People button (How do I add users to a course? ), provided that faculty have that permission enabled at your institution.

Regarding Mastery Paths and Blueprint: I haven't tested this since the fall semester, so things may have changed. However, we've found that Mastery Paths don't work well with Blueprint courses. This is, in part, because all of the content needs to exist already in a site before the Mastery Path can be created. But on an initial sync, nothing yet exists, so the Mastery Path doesn't copy over.

Some resources to check out:

Good luck! This project sounds wonderful! Let us know how it goes.

Best,

Linda