Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greg_lawrence
Community Participant

How listing tags work in Catalog?

Jump to solution

Hi Catalog Peeps

I am trying to get my head around how assigning #CatalogTags in a course listing enhances catalog searching in addition to being able to add them to a Sub-catalog's Categories section as course listing content filter.

I have searched the latest Catalog Guide for answers and/or clarification but have not been able to find anything.

I fear I have assumed incorrectly they also act as metadata which is picked up by Catalog's internal search form. I have tried numerous times to see if that is the case but to no effect.

Interested in hearing your experiences and understandings on how tags work.

Regards

Greg 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
greg_lawrence
Community Participant

Hi Jess

After serval emails to Canvas Support on this topic, I have been told that Catalog tags can only be used to create categories to filter course listings within a Catalog or Sub-catalog. They are not picked up by the Catalog Search form. The search form only scans the teaser and description text of listings.

Canvas also said: "category/tag searches are to be implemented in a future release." So watch this space.

Regards

Greg 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jsowalsk
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

They work for the purpose of finding courses on the storefront with the metadata typed into the tags section of each listing. I hope this helps.

greg_lawrence
Community Participant

Hi Jess

After serval emails to Canvas Support on this topic, I have been told that Catalog tags can only be used to create categories to filter course listings within a Catalog or Sub-catalog. They are not picked up by the Catalog Search form. The search form only scans the teaser and description text of listings.

Canvas also said: "category/tag searches are to be implemented in a future release." So watch this space.

Regards

Greg 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thanks for the update. But, we have been using metadata in the listings and if the courses are on the storefront you can search for the listing using the search terms.