How long does it take to upload a course from commons?

Jump to solution
esmith15
Community Novice

I have created a course at a different college and placed it on commons. This upload to commons took about 3 days. I'm teaching ASL so there are a lot of videos. When it finally uploaded to commons, I went to upload it to my other course at the other campus and its been 5 days and it still isn't uploaded to my course. What should I do? How can I know if it is still uploading? I cannot import the course via QTI file due to it being too large. I need this set up for January. 

Thanks 

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening,  @esmith15  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  According to this Guide on Commons, How do I share a course to Commons?, the file size upload limit to shared content is 500 MB.  I'm guessing that with the videos in your course, you are exceeding 500 MB...which is why it's taking so long.  Is there anything you can do with your course and those videos to reduce the total size of your course?  For example, can you upload your videos to a site like YouTube or Vimeo?  Then, you can embed your videos within your course by harvesting the embed code from YouTube or Vimeo.  That way, you aren't storing the videos within Canvas and at the same time you are reducing the overall size of your course.  Or, if you don't want to use YouTube or Vimeo, maybe your school has a streaming server on-site where you could store your videos?  You might have to talk with someone at your school's IT department about that.  You might be able to get embed code that way, too.

As for an visual indicator to see if your course is uploading, if you go to the course where you are importing your content from Commons, go to "Settings" and then "Import Course Content".  You should see a row for the import from Canvas Commons...as shown in the section called "View Import Status" at the bottom of this Guide: How do I import and view a Commons resource in Canvas?.

I hope this information will be of help to you, Elizabeth.  Please let Community members know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post